Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- The history of the radical mastectomy.Ann Med Hist. 1941; 3: 36-54
- A short history of breast cancer.Martinus Nijhoff Publ, Boston1983
- The treatment of cancer in Greek antiquity.Eur J Cancer. 2004; 40: 2033-2040
- Early breast cancer its history and results of treatment.Exp Biol Med. 1976; 5: 1-129
- A history of surgery.Grafos, Spain2001
The contribution of French surgeons to wound healing in medieval and renaissance Europe. Dealy C. EWMA 2004;4:33–5.
Wolff J. The science of cancerous disease from earliest times to the present. Canton: Science History Publications USA 1987;p. 3–45.
Scultetus J. Armamentarium chirurgicum. Venetiis, Combi & La Nou 1665;p. 137.
Wiseman R. Eight surgical treatises. London: B. Motte; 1734;p. 164, 320–32.
Dionis P. Verhandeling van alle de chirurgicale operatien, na de nieuwste, zekerste, en gemakkelijkste manier. Rotterdam: Joannes Hoofhout, 1710.
- Rayter Z. Mansi J. History of breast cancer. Medical therapy of breast cancer. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge2003
- Memoire avec un précis de plusieurs#observations sur le cancer.Mem Acad Roy Chir. 1757; 3: 1-54
- Diseases of the breast.WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia1971 (p 394-395)
- A treatise on operative surgery.Carcy & Hart, Philadelphia1844
- On disease of the mammary areola preceding cancer of the mammary gland.St Bartholomew Hospital Rep. 1874; 10: 75-78
- On the influence of inadequate operations on the theory of cancer.F Med Chir Soc Lond. 1867; 1: 244-280
Volkmann R. Beitrage zur Chirurgie, anschliessend an einen Bericht über die Tätigkeit der chirurgischen Universitätsklinik zur Halle im Jahre 1873. Leipzig: Breitkopff & Hartel, 1875;p 320–2.
Gross SW. Tumors of the mammary gland. Philadelphia; 1850.
- An improved method of the radical operation for carcinoma of the breast.Medical Record. 1894; 46: 746-748
- Therapeutische Verwendung der Röntgenstrahlen.Fortschr Gebiete Röntgenstr. 1897; 1: 14-22
- Zur Dauerheilung des Brustkrebses.Beitr Klin Chir. 1905; 47: 226
- On the treatment of inoperable cases of carcinoma of the mamma: suggestions for a new method of treatment, with illustrative cases.Lancet. 1896; ii (104–7, 162–5)
- The importance of local control in early-stage breast cancer: a historical review and a discussion of ongoing issues.Ann Surg Oncol. 2007; 14: 3310-3320
- Inhibition of human mammary and prostatic cancers by adrenalectomy.Cancer Res. 1952; 12: 134-141
- Sir Hugh Lett, BT (1876–1964).Br J Surg. 1964; 51: 799-801
- The effect of stilbestrol on advanced cancer of the breast.Cancer Res. 1946; 6: 484
- The effect of testosterone on the pituitary-adrenal cortex mechanism in noncancerous and in breast cancer subjects.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1951; 11: 173-185
- Estrogen receptors in hormone responsive tissues and tumors.in: Wissler R.W. Dao T.L. Wood Jr., S. Endogenous factors influencing host-tumor balance. University of Chicago Press, Chicago1967
- The radium treatment of carcinoma of the breast.Br J Surg. 1932; 19: 415-480
- Rontgen therapy in carcinoma of the breast: a statistical study of 977 private cases.Ann Surg. 1931; 93: 412-427
- Five year results in 431 breast cancers treated solely by roentgen rays.Ann Surg. 1965; 161: 103-104
- Simple mastectomy and radiotherapy in the treatment of breast cancer.Br J Radiol. 1955; 28: 128
- Parasternal invasion of the thorax in breast cancer and its suppression by the use of radium tubes as an operative precaution.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1927; 45: 721-782
- Radical mastectomy combined with in-continuity resection of the homolateral internal mammary node chain.Cancer. 1953; 6: 969-979
- Radical mastectomy with parasternal and supraclavicular dissection for mammary carcinoma.Ann Surg. 1969; 170: 889-891
Arhelger SW, Lewis FJ, Wangensteen OH. The extended or super-radical mastectomy for carcinoma of the breast. Surg Clin North Am 1956;1051–63.
- The prognosis of carcinoma of the breast in relation of the type of operation performed.Br J Cancer. 1948; 2: 7-13
- Modified radical mastectomy: why not?.Am J Surg. 1970; 119: 506-509
- Low incidence and morbidity of local recurrence after conservative operations for cancer of the breast.Ann Surg. 1972 Feb; 175: 249-253
- Interscapulomammothoracic amputation.in: Treatment of cancer and allied diseases. vol. IV. Harper Company, New York, New York1964 (p. 133–42)
- Treatment of early breast cancer: a report after ten years of a clinical trial.Br Med J. 1972; 2: 423-429
- Comparing radical mastectomy with quadrantectomy, axillary dissection and radiotherapy in patients with small cancers of the breast.N Engl J Med. 1981; 305: 6-11
- Eight-year results of a randomized clinical trial comparing total mastectomy and lumpectomy with or without irradiation in the treatment of breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 822-828
NIH Consensus Statement Online. Treatment of early-stage breast cancer; 1990 June 18–21 [cited 2007.11.01], 8. p. 1–19.
- Influence of estrogen plus progestin on breast cancer and mammography in healthy postmenopausal women: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Trial.JAMA. 2003; 289: 3243-3253
- BRCA1 mutations in primary breast and ovarian carcinomas.Science. 1994; 266: 120-122
- Tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer: report of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 Study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998; 90: 1371-1388
- Effects of chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for early breast cancer on recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials.Lancet. 2005; 365: 1687-1717
- Adjuvant trastuzumab in the treatment of her-2-positive early breast cancer: a meta-analysis of published randomized trials.BMC Cancer. 2007; 7: 153
- The role of magnetic resonance imaging in screening women at high risk of breast cancer.Top Magn Reson Imaging. 2008; 19: 163-169
☆This article takes a historical journey through the ages unfolding the problem of breast cancer from antiquity through to the end of the 20th century.