This study aims to evaluate the effect of raloxifene on the expression of human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) in invasive ductal breast carcinoma of postmenopausal women.
This study included 20 postmenopausal women with invasive, stage II, estrogen receptor-positive ductal carcinoma diagnosed by incisional biopsy, who received 60 mg of raloxifene orally for 28 days prior to definitive surgery. On the 29th day of treatment, definitive surgery was performed and a second tumor sample was taken for analysis. The catalytic subunit of telomerase (hTERT) was evaluated semiquantitatively by immunohistochemistry in the tumor samples obtained prior to and following raloxifene use and the results were analyzed using the McNemar test (p < 0.05).
The samples of 17 patients (85%) were classified as positive for telomerase expression prior to raloxifene treatment, while only 6 (30%) remained positive following raloxifene treatment (p < 0.0026).
In the present study, raloxifene significantly reduced the expression of hTERT in estrogen receptor-positive breast tumors from postmenopausal women.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2010; 60: 277-300
Estimates of cancer in Brazil. [http://www.inca.gov.br/estimativa/2010/index.asp?link=conteudo_view.asp&ID=5].
- Tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer: report of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998; 90: 1371-1388
- Chemoprevention of breast cancer.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2008; 65: 2221-2228
- Effects of tamoxifen vs raloxifene on the risk of developing invasive breast cancer and other disease outcomes: the NSABP study of tamoxifen and raloxifene (STAR) P-2 trial.JAMA. 2006; 295: 2727-2741
- The role of selective estrogen receptor modulators in the prevention of breast cancer: comparison of the clinical trials.Oncologist. 2004; 9: 116-125
- The effect of raloxifene on risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women: results from the MORE randomized trial. Multiple outcomes of raloxifene evaluation.JAMA. 1999; 281: 2189-2197
- Raloxifene use in clinical practice: efficacy and safety.Menopause. 2009; 16: 413-421
- Chemoprevention in postmenopausal women.Menopause. 2008; 15: 810-815
- Update of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project study of tamoxifen and raloxifene (STAR) P-2 trial: preventing breast cancer.Cancer Prev Res. 2010; 3: 696-706
- Effects of tamoxifen on telomerase activity in breast carcinoma cell lines.Cancer. 1999; 85: 1523-1529
- Raloxifene inhibits estrogen-induced up-regulation of telomerase activity in a human breast cancer cell line.J Biol Chem. 2003; 278: 43363-43372
- Identification of a specific telomere terminal transferase activity in tetrahymena extracts.Cell. 1985; 43: 405-413
- Correlation between the expression of telomerase reverse transcriptase and proliferative activity in breast cancer cells using an immunocytochemical restaining method.Pathol Int. 2003; 53: 762-768
- Specific association of human telomerase activity with immortal cells and cancer.Science. 1994; 266: 2011-2015
- Immunohistochemical localization of hTERT protein in human tissues.Histochem Cell Biol. 2004; 121: 391-397
- Telomerase as a prognostic marker in breast cancer: high-throughput tissue microarray analysis of hTERT and hTR.J Pathol. 2002; 198: 181-189
- Categorical data analysis.2nd ed. John Wile & Sons Inc., New York2002
- Effect of raloxifene on breast cancer cell Ki67 and apoptosis: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial in postmenopausal patients.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001; 10: 961-966
- Evaluation of Ki-67 and Bcl-2 antigen expression in breast carcinoma of women treated with raloxifene.Cell Prolif. 2010; 43: 124-129
- Effects of raloxifene on normal breast tissue from premenopausal women.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006; 95: 99-103
- Raloxifene inhibits tumor growth and lymph node metastasis in a xenograft model of metastatic mammary cancer.BMC Cancer. 2010; 10: 2-14
- Molecular mechanism of action of selective estrogen receptor modulator in target tissues.Endocr J. 2005; 52: 161-167
Published online: June 27, 2011
Accepted: June 9, 2011
Received in revised form: April 28, 2011
Received: February 3, 2011
© 2011 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.