The purpose of this study was to investigate chronic inflammation in the peripheral blood and ovaries of patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). 86 PCOS patients and 50 controls were randomly enrolled in the study. Serum follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), testosterone (T), blood routine test, lipid metabolism index, inflammation cytokines were detected. Ovary samples from PCOS group and control group were collected for macrophage and lymphocyte immunohistochemistry staining. Patients with PCOS showed significantly higher serum CRP, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophilic granulocytes, as well as higher triglycerides (TG), TNF-α and IL-6. PCOS ovary had greater number of macrophages and lymphocytes immersed throughout. In conclusion, PCOS patients exhibited hypertriglyceridemia and chronic inflammation, with elevated peripheral lymphocytes, monocytes, and eosinophilic granulocytes. In addition, their ovaries showed persistent chronic inflammation with a larger number of inflammatory cells immersed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence of polycystic ovaries in women with anovulation and idiopathic hirsutism.Br Med J Clin Res Ed. 1986; 293: 355-359
- Prevalence and predictors of risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance in polycystic ovary syndrome: a prospective, controlled study in 254 affected women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 165-169
- The determinants of diabetes in the WOSCOPS cohort study.Circulation. 2001; 103: 357-362
- Ovarian leukocyte distribution and cytokine/chemokine mRNA expression in follicular fluid cells in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Hum Reprod. 2007; 22: 527-535
- Distribution of leukocyte subtypes in the sheep ovary after laser drilling.Hum Reprod. 1995; 10: 544-550
- Relationships between concentrations of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and nitric oxide in follicular fluid and oocyte quality.J Assist Reprod Genet. 2000; 17: 222-228
- Association between circulating tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-6, and insulin resistance in normal-weight women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2006; 4: 122-128
- .Localization and characterization of white blood cell populations within the human ovary throughout the menstrual cycle and menopause.Hum Reprod. 1996; 11: 790-797
- Distribution of leukocyte subpopulation in the human corpus luteum.Hum Reprod. 1992; 7: 197-202
Published online: August 22, 2011
Accepted: July 11, 2011
Received in revised form: May 4, 2011
Received: January 27, 2011
© 2011 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.