Recently our group has found that the correlation between birth weight and placental weight – an index of a balanced feto-placental unit development – is influenced by genetic factors. Since adenylate kinase locus 1 (AK1) is a polymorphic enzyme that plays an important role in the synthesis of nucleotides required for many metabolic functions, we have investigated the possible role of its genetic variability in the correlation between birth weight and placental weight.
342 consecutive healthy newborn infants from the population of Rome (Italy) and 286 puerperae from another population from Central Italy were studied.
The correlation coefficient between birth weight and placental weight is much higher in infants with low activity AK12-1 phenotype than in those with high activity AK11 phenotype. The difference between AK1 and AK12-1 is well marked only in newborns with a gestational age greater than 38 weeks and it is not influenced by sex, maternal age and maternal smoking. A similar pattern is observed with maternal AK1 phenotype.
These results suggest that the difference in enzymatic activity between AK1 phenotypes influencing the equilibrium among ATP, ADP, AMP and adenosine could have an important role in a balanced development of feto-placental unit.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Measures of placental growth in relation to birth weight and gestational age.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 162: 991-998
- Weight, volume and surface area of placenta of normal pregnant women and their relation to maternal and neonatal parameters in Malay, Chinese and Indian ethnic groups.Placenta. 2002; 23: 691-696
- Prospective cohort study of factors influencing the relative weights of the placenta and the newborn infant.BMJ. 1997; 314: 1864-1868
- Prenatal stress, glucocorticoids and the programming of adult disease.Front Behav Neurosci. 2009; 3: 19
- Fetal and placental size and risk of hypertension in adult life.BMJ. 1990; 301: 259-262
- The effect of gender and ACP1 genetic polymorphism on the correlation between birth weight and placental weight.Placenta. 2005; 26: 846-848
- The double life of ATP.Sci Am. 2009; 301 (p. 92): 84-90
- Adenylate kinase and amp signaling networks: metabolic monitoring, signal communication and body energy sensing.Int J Mol Sci. 2009; 10: 1729-1772
- Human adenylate kinase deficiency associated with hemolytic anemia. A single base substitution affecting solubility and catalytic activity of the cytosolic adenylate kinase.J Biol Chem. 1989; 264: 10148-10155
- Genetically determined variation of adenylate kinase in man.Nature. 1966; 209: 261-263
- SPSS/PC+ Version 5.0.SPSS Inc., Chicago1992
- Statistical methods.Iowa State University, Ames1989
- The evolution, regulation, and function of placenta-specific genes.Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2008; 24: 159-181
- IFPA award in placentology lecture: complicated interactions between genes and the environment in placentation, pregnancy outcome and long term health.Placenta. 2010; 31: S47-S53
- Placental restriction of fetal growth decreases IGF1 and leptin mRNA expression in the perirenal adipose tissue of late gestation fetal sheep.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008; 294: R1413-R1419
Published online: August 01, 2011
Accepted: July 11, 2011
Received in revised form: July 2, 2011
Received: April 4, 2011
© 2011 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.