To assess the feasibility of adding letrozole to the standard regimen of mifepristone and misoprostol for termination of pregnancy up to 63 days.
We recruited 50 subjects who had requested legal termination of pregnancy up to 63 days. Medical abortion was performed with a singe dose of 200 mg mifepristone and 10 mg of letrozole daily for 3 days followed by 800 mcg vaginal misoprostol.
The complete abortion rate was 98% (95% CI: 94–100%). The median induction-to-abortion interval of the regimen was 5.1 h (range 1.2–56 h). No serious adverse effects were reported.
The results of this pilot study suggest that a regimen of mifepristone, letrozole and misoprostol is associated with a high complete abortion rate without major adverse events.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- ACOG Practice Bulletin. Clinical management guidelines of obstetrician-gynecologists. Number 67, October 2005. Medical management of abortion.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 871-872
- The care of women requesting induced abortion. Evidence-based Clinical Guideline No. 7.RCOG Press, London (UK)2004
- Mode of action of medical methods of abortion.J Am Med Women's Assoc. 2000; 55: 121-126
- Antiprogesterone steroids: a new dimension in human fertility regulation.Oxford Rev Reprod Biol. 1989; 1: 1-60
- An effective regimen for early medical abortion: a report of 2000 consecutive cases.Hum Reprod. 1998; 13: 2962-2965
- Low-dose mifepristone 200 mg and vaginal misoprostol for abortion.Contraception. 1999; 59: 1-6
- The role of estrogen in the maintenance of primate pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 182: 432-438
- Letrozole, a new oral non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor in treating postmenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer. A pilot study.Ann Oncol. 1996; 7: 99-102
- Synergistic effects of antiprogestins and iNOS or aromatase inhibitors on establishment and maintenance of pregnancy.Steroids. 2003; 68: 1077-1084
- Misoprostol with or without letrozole pretreatment for termination of pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 317-323
- A pilot study on the use of letrozole with either misoprostol or mifepristone for termination of pregnancy up to 63 days.Contraception. 2011; 83: 62-67
- A pilot study on the use of a 7-day course of letrozole followed by misoprostol for the termination of early pregnancy up to 63 days.Contraception. 2012; 86: 763-769
- Misoprostol dose and route after mifepristone for early medical abortion: a randomized controlled noninferiority trial.BJOG. 2010; 117: 1186-1196
- Early pregnancy termination with mifepristone and misoprostol in the United States.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 1241-1247
- Low dose mifepristone 200 mg and vaginal misoprostol for abortion.Contraception. 1999; 59: 1-6
- Effect of letrozole on uterine tonus and contractility: a randomized controlled trial.Contraception. 2012; 86: 419-424
- Immunocytochemical identification of the oestrogen receptor in the nuclei of cultured human placental syncytiotrophoblasts.Placenta. 1997; 18: 365-370
- Hormonal regulation of human trophoblast differentiation: a possible role for 17-beta-estradiol and GnRH.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004; 218: 79-94
- Regulation of placental vascular endothelial growth/permeability factor expression and angiogenesis by estrogen during early baboon pregnancy.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004; 89: 5803-5809
- Regulation of placental villous angiopoietin-1 and -2 expression by estrogen during baboon pregnancy.Mol Reprod Dev. 2008; 75: 504-511
Published online: September 30, 2013
Accepted: September 16, 2013
Received in revised form: August 20, 2013
Received: June 14, 2013
© 2013 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.