To investigate the effects of a continuous-regimen combined oral contraceptive (COC) on hyperandrogenic women.
This prospective study enrolled 52 women with moderate to severe hirsutism, as well as acne and seborrhea. Women were placed on a 192-day continuous regimen. To assess hirsutism, the modified Ferriman–Gallwey (mF-G) scoring system was used. Acne and seborrhea were defined by the Cremoncini scale. Serum FSH, LH, estradiol, total testosterone, FAI, DHEAS, androstenedione, SHBG and fasting insulin were measured at baseline and at the endpoint. One-way ANOVA was used to compare serum hormone levels and hirsutism scores at baseline with those obtained at the endpoint.
A reduction of 78.5% in the mF-G scores was observed at the endpoint (p < 0.001). Women underwent improvement of acne and seborrhea, −58.7% and −56%, respectively (p < 0.001). An evident decrease in both total testosterone and FAI, and an increase in SHBG were shown (p < 0.001).
A COC continuous-regimen improved the esthetic effect of hyperandrogenism.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Quality of sexual life in hyperandrogenic women treated with an oral contraceptive containing chlormadinone acetate.J Sex Med. 2009; 6: 3376-3384
- Assessment and management of anovulatory infertility in polycystic ovary syndrome.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2003; 32: 639-651
- Diagnostic procedures in polycystic ovary syndrome.J Lab Med. 2003; 27: 53-59
- Treatment of hirsutism and acne in hyperandrogenism.Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 20: 221-234
- Weight change and androgen levels during contraceptive treatment of women affected by polycystic ovary.Endocr Regul. 2006; 40: 119-123
- Effects of two estroprogestins containing ethynilestradiol 30 microg and drospirenone 3 mg and ethynilestradiol 30 microg and chlormadinone 2 mg on skin and hormonal hyperandrogenic manifestations.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2008; 24: 718-723
- The role of combined oral contraceptives in the management of acne and seborrhea.Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2004; 9: 107-124
- Current issues and available options in combined hormonal contraception.Contraception. 2011; 84: 342-356
- Conventional vs. extended-cycle oral contraceptives on the quality of sexual life: comparison between two regimens containing 3 mg drospirenone and 20 μg ethinyl estradiol.J Sex Med. 2011; 8: 1478-1485
- Preliminary study on the effect of four-phasic estradiol valerate and dienogest (E2 V/DNG) oral contraceptive on the quality of sexual life.J Sex Med. 2011; 8: 2841-2850
- The evolution of combined oral contraception: improving the risk-to-benefit ratio.Contraception. 2011; 84: 19-34
- Recent innovations in oral contraception.Semin Reprod Med. 2010; 28: 140-146
- Effect of oral contraceptives on markers of hyperandrogenism and SHBG in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Contraception. 2010; 82: 276-280
- Revised 2003 consensusion diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 41-47
- Do hyperandrogenic women with normal menses have polycystic ovary syndrome?.Fertil Steril. 1999; 71: 319-322
- Clinical assessment of body hair growth in women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1961; 21: 1440-1447
- Degree of facial and body terminal hair growth in unselected black and white women: toward a populational definition of hirsutism.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 91: 1345-1350
- Treatment of hirsutism and acne in women with two combinations of cyproterone acetate and ethinylestradiol.Acta Eur Fertil. 1976; 7: 299-314
- Treatment of moderate acne vulgaris using a combined oral contraceptive containing ethinylestradiol 20 μg plus drospirenone 3 mg administered in a 24/4 regimen: a pooled analysis.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011; 155: 171-175
- Efficacy of a new oral contraceptive containing drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol in the long-term treatment of hirsutism.Fertil Steril. 2006; 85: 436-440
- A prospective randomized trial comparing low-dose ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone 24/4 combined oral contraceptive vs. ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone 21/7 combined oral contraceptive in the treatment of hirsutism.Contraception. 2011; 84: 508-511
- Efficacy of an oral contraceptive containing drospirenone in the treatment of women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2007; 12: 30-35
- An observational study of Yasmin in the management of women with polycystic ovary syndrome.J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2004; 30: 163-165
- Comparative study of the therapeutic effects of oral contraceptive pills containing desogestrel, cyproterone acetate, and drospirenone in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2012; 98: 1053-1059
- Quality of life and psychological well being in polycystic ovary syndrome.Hum Reprod. 2007; 22: 2279-2286
- Clinical and hormonal effects of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist plus an oral contraceptive in severely hirsute patients with polycystic ovary disease.Fertil Steril. 1996; 65: 61-67
- Treatment of hirsutism with flutamide and a low-dosage oral contraceptive in polycystic ovarian disease patients.Fertil Steril. 1994; 62: 1129-1135
- Clinical and endocrine effects of finasteride, a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, in women with idiopathic hirsutism.Fertil Steril. 1995; 64: 299-306
- Effect of metformin on insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I and IGF-binding protein I in polycystic ovary syndrome.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 1598-1600
- Therapeutic options in the polycyctic ovary syndrome.J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 27: 123-129
- Management of hirsutism.Am J Clin Dermat. 2000; 1: 89-99
- The current understanding of polycystic ovary syndrome.Obstetrician Gynaecologist. 2004; 6: 66-74
- Metformin treatment is effective in obese teenage girls with PCOS.Hum Reprod. 2006; 21: 2252-2256
- Combined oral contraceptive pills for treatment of acne.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 7: CD004425
- Continuous or extended cycle vs. cyclic use of combined oral contraceptives for contraception.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 3: CD004695
- Quality of sexual life of women on oral contraceptive continued-regimen: pilot study.J Sex Med. 2013; 10: 460-466
Published online: October 16, 2013
Accepted: September 29, 2013
Received in revised form: September 2, 2013
Received: May 15, 2013
© 2013 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.