To evaluate changes in ovarian reserve in patients following hysterectomy, with or without bilateral salpingectomy or fimbriectomy.
Open-label, prospective cohort trial of patients undergoing hysterectomy for benign uterine indications. Levels of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH), and ultrasonic measures of peak systolic flow velocity/diastolic velocity (S/D) ratio and resistance index (RI) in the ovarian artery were taken from patients before and 6 weeks after hysterectomy, hysterectomy + salpingectomy or hysterectomy + fimbriectomy.
The study period was from November 2011 to May 2014. Sixty patients were included in the final analysis, after two patients were lost to follow-up and one patient underwent bilateral oophorectomy. Of these 60 patients, 16 underwent hysterectomy alone (control group), and 44 were included in the study group (22 patients underwent hysterectomy + fimbriectomy and 22 patients underwent hysterectomy + salpingectomy). The mean age of patients was 46 years (standard deviation 4.07 years). Between-group dfferences in FSH, AMH, ovarian volume, ovarian artery S/D ratio and ovarian artery RI were not significant.
The addition of salpingectomy or fimbriectomy to routine hysterectomy in premenopausal patients does not diminish ovarian reserve.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- New insights on the pathogenesis of ovarian carcinoma: molecular basis and clinical implications.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2012; 28: 582-586
- Molecular pathogenesis and extraovarian origin of epithelial ovarian cancer – shifting the paradigm.Hum Pathol. 2011; 42: 918-931
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology recommendations for the prevention of ovarian cancer.Cancer. 2015; 121: 2108-2120
- Salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 279-281
- Nationwide trends in the performance of inpatient hysterectomy in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 233-241
- Change in the ovarian environment after hysterectomy as assessed by ovarian arterial blood flow indices and serum anti-Mullerian hormone levels.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010; 151: 82-85
- The association of hysterectomy and menopause: a prospective cohort study.BJOG. 2005; 112: 956-962
- Loss of ovarian reserve after uterine artery embolization: a randomised comparison with hysterectomy.XVIII FIGO World congr gynecol obstet. 2006; 4: 116
- Prophylactic salpingectomy in premenopausal low-risk women for ovarian cancer: primum non nocere.Gynecol Oncol. 2013; 129: 448-451
- A retrospective analysis of the effect of salpingectomy on serum anti-Müllerian hormone level and ovarian reserve.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212 ([53. e1–10])
- Impaired ovarian blood flow and reduced antral follicle count following laparoscopic salpingectomy for ectopic pregnancy.Hum Reprod. 2003; 18: 2175-2180
- FSH levels in relation to hysterectomy and to unilateral oophorectomy.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 94: 969-972
- Limitations of follicle-stimulating hormone in assessing menopause status: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES 1999–2000).Menopause. 2006; 13: 171-177
- Loss of ovarian reserve after uterine artery embolization: a randomized comparison with hysterectomy.Hum Reprod. 2007; 22: 1996-2005
- The physiology and clinical utility of anti- Müllerian hormone in women.Hum Reprod Update. 2014; 20: 370-385
- Short-term effects of salpingectomy during laparoscopic hysterectomy on ovarian reserve: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Fertil Steril. 2013; 100: 1704-1708
- Ovarian conservation at the time of hysterectomy and long-term health outcomes in the Nurses’ Health Study.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 113: 1027-1037
- Tubal epithelial lesions in salpingo-oophorectomy specimens of BRCA-mutation carriers and controls.Gynecol Oncol. 2012; 127: 88-93
- A cautious view of putative precursors of serous carcinomas in the fallopian tubes of BRCA mutation carriers.Gynecol Oncol. 2014; 134: 492-497
- Wide excision of soft tissues adjacent to the ovary and fallopian tube does not impair the ovarian reserve in women undergoing prophylactic bilateral salpingectomy: results from a randomized, controlled trial.Fertil Steril. 2015; 104: 1332-1339
Published online: December 26, 2016
Accepted: December 19, 2016
Received in revised form: September 26, 2016
Received: July 14, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.