To identify and estimate the importance of risk factors on pregnancy loss until the end of the second trimester after clinical pregnancy was achieved by either in vitro fertilisation (IVF) or intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
Retrospective cohort study including 588 cycles with fresh embryo transfers and 150 cycles with frozen-thawed embryo transfers using logistic regression.
The rate of miscarriages subsequent to a fresh embryo transfer was significantly increased by a diagnosis of endometriosis (p = 0.02), as well as significantly influenced by the age of the female patient at the time of oocyte retrieval (p< 0.01) and the serum level of testosterone (p = 0.02). The time between freezing and thawing of the pronuclear stages for a frozen-thawed embryo transfer revealed a trend to a higher rate of miscarriages (p = 0.06).
Endometriosis significantly decreases the chance of having a baby even with IVF or ICSI.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The epidemiology of endometriosis.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2002; 955 (discussion 34-6, 396–406): 11-22
- Revised american society for reproductive medicine classification of endometriosis: 1996.Fertil Steril. 1997; 67: 817-821
- The effect of endometriosis on in vitro fertilisation outcome: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BJOG: Int J Obstetrics Gynaecol. 2013; 120: 1308-1320
- Effect of endometriosis on in vitro fertilization.Fertil Steril. 2002; 77: 1148-1155
- Multivariate analysis of factors affecting probability of pregnancy and live birth with in vitro fertilization: an analysis of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology Clinic Outcomes Reporting System.Fertil Steril. 2010; 94: 1410-1416
- Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2004; 81: 19-25
- Consensus on women's health aspects of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): the Amsterdam ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored 3rd PCOS Consensus Workshop Group.Fertil Steril. 2012; 97 (e25): 28-38
- The role of serum testosterone in early pregnancy outcome: a comparison in women with and without polycystic ovary syndrome.J Obstetrics Gynaecol Can JOGC = Journal d'obstetrique et gynecologie du Canada: JOGC. 2014; 36: 811-816
- Overt hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism during pregnancy.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 54: 478-487
- 2014 European thyroid association guidelines for the management of subclinical hypothyroidism in pregnancy and in children.Eur Thyroid J. 2014; 3: 76-94
- Higher maternal TSH levels in pregnancy are associated with increased risk for miscarriage, fetal or neonatal death.Eur J Endocrinol/Eur Fed Endocr Soc. 2009; 160: 985-991
- Association of estradiol levels on the day of hCG administration and pregnancy achievement in IVF: a systematic review.Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 2446-2453
- Effects of cigarette smoking upon clinical outcomes of assisted reproduction: a meta-analysis.Hum Reprod Update. 2009; 15: 31-44
- Maternal body mass index and the risk of fetal death, stillbirth, and infant death: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1536-1546
- Effect of body mass index on IVF treatment outcome: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Reprod Biomed Online. 2011; 23: 421-439
- The factors affecting the outcome of frozen-thawed embryo transfer cycle.Taiwan J Obstetrics Gynecol. 2011; 50: 159-164
- The safety of long-term cryopreservation on slow-frozen early cleavage human embryos.J Assist Reprod Genet. 2014; 31: 471-475
- Does storage time influence postthaw survival and pregnancy outcome? An analysis of 11,768 cryopreserved human embryos.Fertil Steril. 2010; 93: 109-115
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive M. Endometriosis and infertility: a committee opinion.Fertil Steril. 2012; 98: 591-598
- Pituitary-ovarian dysfunction as a cause for endometriosis-associated and unexplained infertility.Hum Reprod. 1995; 10: 3142-3146
- Immunobiology of endometriosis.Fertil Steril. 2001; 75: 1-10
- Endometrial and peritoneal expression of aromatase, cytokines, and adhesion factors in women with endometriosis.Fertil Steril. 2008; 89: 301-310
- Serum cytokines as biomarkers for nonsurgical prediction of endometriosis.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2008; 137: 240-246
- Serum level of IL-10 is increased in patients with endometriosis, and IL-10 promotes the growth of lesions in a murine model.Am J Pathol. 2014; 184: 464-471
- The role of cytokines in endometriosis.Am J Reprod Immunol. 2003; 49: 285-296
- Imbalance in cytokines from interleukin-1 family – role in pathogenesis of endometriosis.Am J Reprod Immunol. 2012; 68: 138-145
- Peritoneal cytokines and adhesion formation in endometriosis: an inverse association with vascular endothelial growth factor concentration.Fertil Steril. 2012; 97 (e1): 1380-1386
- Effects of prostaglandin E2 and vascular endothelial growth factor on sperm might lead to endometriosis-associated infertility.Fertil Steril. 2011; 95: 360-362
- Exploring the mechanism(s) of endometriosis-related infertility: an analysis of embryo development and implantation in assisted reproduction.Hum Reprod. 1995; 10: 91-97
- Diminished pregnancy rates in endometriosis due to impaired uterotubal transport assessed by hysterosalpingoscintigraphy.BJOG: Int J Obstetrics Gynaecol. 2005; 112: 1391-1396
- Laparoscopic surgery in infertile women with minimal or mild endometriosis: Canadian Collaborative Group on endometriosis.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 217-222
- Ablation of lesions or no treatment in minimal-mild endometriosis in infertile women: a randomized trial. Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio dell'Endometriosi.Hum Reprod. 1999; 14: 1332-1334
- Genomics' role in understanding the pathogenesis of endometriosis.Semin Reprod Med. 2003; 21: 119-124
- Incidence of laparoscopically confirmed endometriosis by demographic, anthropometric, and lifestyle factors.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 160: 784-796
- Reproductive history and endometriosis among premenopausal women.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 104: 965-974
- In utero exposures and the incidence of endometriosis.Fertil Steril. 2004; 82: 1501-1508
- Human pregnancy following cryopreservation, thawing and transfer of an eight-cell embryo.Nature. 1983; 305: 707-709
- Follow-up of children conceived from cryopreserved embryos.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2000; 169: 91-93
- Twin delivery following 12 years of human embryo cryopreservation: case report.Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 328-329
Published online: April 05, 2017
Accepted: April 4, 2017
Received in revised form: March 31, 2017
Received: March 24, 2016
© 2017 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.