Fertility preservation is now considered paramount for the well-being of women battling cancer. However, others indications have more recently emerged, ranging from benign diseases to elective oocyte cryopreservation [
- Garcia-Velasco J.A.
- Domingo J.
- Cobo A.
- Martínez M.
- Carmona L.
- Pellicer A.
Five years’ experience using oocyte vitrification to preserve fertility for medical and nonmedical indications.
Fertil Steril. 2013; 99: 1994-1999
2]. In particular, women with endometriosis may represent a suitable group since they are at risk for compromised ovarian reserve [
- Grynberg M.
- Benard J.
Fertility preservation and endometriosis: when medical borders on social.
Gynecol Obstet Fertil. 2015; 43: 759-760
]. Some authors attempted to develop the pros and cons of Fertility Preservation (FP) and speculate on which subgroups of women may benefit from the procedure [
- de Ziegler D.
- Borghese B.
- Chapron C.
Endometriosis and infertility: pathophysiology and management.
Lancet Lond Engl. 2010; 376: 730-738
- Somigliana E.
- Viganò P.
- Filippi F.
- Papaleo E.
- Benaglia L.
- Candiani M.
- et al.
Fertility preservation in women with endometriosis: for all, for some, for none?.
Hum Reprod Oxf Engl. 2015; 30: 1280-1286
5]. However, data on FP in endometriosis patients remains extremely scarce. The present investigation aims to describe the first cohort of endometriosis patients having undergone oocyte vitrification and to draw some preliminary conclusions on FP in this subgroup of women.
- Carrillo L.
- Seidman D.S.
- Cittadini E.
- Meirow D.
The role of fertility preservation in patients with endometriosis.
J Assist Reprod Genet. 2016; 33: 317-323
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Five years’ experience using oocyte vitrification to preserve fertility for medical and nonmedical indications.Fertil Steril. 2013; 99: 1994-1999
- Fertility preservation and endometriosis: when medical borders on social.Gynecol Obstet Fertil. 2015; 43: 759-760
- Endometriosis and infertility: pathophysiology and management.Lancet Lond Engl. 2010; 376: 730-738
- Fertility preservation in women with endometriosis: for all, for some, for none?.Hum Reprod Oxf Engl. 2015; 30: 1280-1286
- The role of fertility preservation in patients with endometriosis.J Assist Reprod Genet. 2016; 33: 317-323
Published online: December 04, 2017
Received: September 3, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.