Matrix metalloproteinase-9, Nitric oxide and inflammation plays a role in the pathogenesis of poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Even though these parameters are altered in PCOS, the effect of clomiphene citrate on them has not been studied till date. The present study was done to assess the effect of clomiphene citrate on matrix metalloproteinase-9, nitric oxide and interleukin-10 levels in women with PCOS.
72 women diagnosed with PCOS were enrolled in the study. Matrix metalloproteinase-9, nitric oxide and interleukin-10 levels were compared at baseline and after three weeks following Clomiphene citrate treatment.
Clomiphene citrate increases both nitric oxide (p = 0.03) and interleukin-10 (p < 0.001) levels and reduces matrix metalloproteinase-9 levels (p < 0.001) in women with PCOS. It also improves the ovulation rate (52.8%) and clinical pregnancy rate (19.4%) in PCOS. Also there was a significant reduction in matrix metalloproteinase-9 levels in both the ovulatory (p < 0.001) and conceived groups (p = 0.024) compared to non ovulatory and non conceived group. There was no difference in nitric oxide and interleukin-10 levels in ovulatory and conceived groups compared to non ovulatory and non conceived group.
We conclude that clomiphene citrate increases the levels of nitric oxide and interleukin-10 and decreases the matrix metalloproteinase - 9 levels and improves the ovulation rate and clinical pregnancy rate in PCOS.
Abbreviations:PCOS (Poly cystic ovary syndrome), CC (Clomiphene citrate), NO (Nitric oxide), MMP-9 (Matrix metalloproteinase-9), IL-10 (Interleukin-10)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Health care-related economic burden of the polycystic ovary syndrome during the reproductive life span.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; : 4650-4658
- A cross-sectional study of polycystic ovarian syndrome among adolescent and young girls in Mumbai, India.Ind J Endocrinol Metab. 2017; 18: 317-324
- Managing anovulatory infertility and polycystic ovary syndrome.BMJ. 2007; 33: 663-666
- Is PCOS an inflammatory process?.Fertil Steril. 2012; 97: 7-12
- Ovary and ovulation: human follicular nitric oxide pathway: relationship to follicular size, oestradiol concentrations and ovarian blood flow.Hum. Reprod. 1996; 11: 1947-1951
- Nitric oxide as a regulator of embryonic development.Biol. Reprod. 1998; 58: 875-879
- Nitric oxide donors improve the ovulation and pregnancy rates in anovulatory women with polycystic ovary syndrome treated with clomiphene citrate: a RCT.Int J Reprod Biomed. 2016; 14: 9
- The pathogenesis of infertility and early pregnancy loss in polycystic ovary syndrome.Best Pract. Res. Clin. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2004; 18: 755-771
- Expression and importance of matrix metalloproteinase 2 and 9 (MMP-2 and -9) in human trophoblast invasion.Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2004; 2: 59
- Raised serum levels of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in women with polycystic ovary syndrome and its association with insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2008; 24: 285-288
- Circulating matrix metalloproteinase MMP-9 and MMP-2/TIMP-2 complex are associated with spontaneous early pregnancy failure.Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2013; 11: 2
- Subclinical inflammation in obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Middle East Fertil Soc J. 2012; 17: 195-202
- Mediators of low-grade chronic inflammation in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).Curr Pharm Des. 2013; 19: 5775-5791
- Interleukin 10 (-1082 G/A) and (-819 C/T) gene polymorphisms in Egyptian women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).Meta Gene. 2016; : 254-258
- Clomiphene,metformin, or both for infertility in the polycystic ovary syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2007; : 356-566
- Hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian response to clomiphene citrate in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril. 1993; 59: 532-538
- Estrogen induces nitric oxide production via nitric oxide synthase activation in endothelial cells.Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2015; 120: 141-145
- Elevated serum levels of matrix metalloproteinase-2 in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007; 96: 204-205
- The balance between MMP-9 and MMP-2 and their tissue inhibitor (TIMP)-1 in luteinized granulosa cells: comparison between women with PCOS and normal ovulatory women.Mol Hum Reprod. 2001; 7: 325-331
- Is PCOS an inflammatory process?.Fertil Steril. 2012; 97: 7-12
- Altered circulating inflammatory cytokines are associated with anovulatory polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) women resistant to clomiphene citrate treatment.Med Sci Monit. 2017; 23: 1083-1089
- Nitric oxide and its role during pregnancy: from ovulation to delivery.Curr Pharm Des. 2003; 9: 359-380
- Monitoring techniques for improved pregnancy rates during clomiphene ovulation induction.Fertil Steril. 1984; 42: 499-509
- Interleukin-10 inhibition of nitric oxide biosynthesis involves suppression of CAT-2 transcription.Nitric Oxide. 2002; 6: 79-84
- Relationship between polycystic ovarian syndrome and subsequent gestational diabetes mellitus: a nationwide population-based study.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0140544
- Higher risk of preeclampsia in the polycystic ovary syndrome. A case control study.Eur. J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1998; 76: 91
- The matrix metalloproteinase system: changes, regulation, and impact throughout the ovarian and uterine reproductive cycle.Endocr Rev. 2003; 24: 428-465
- Expression and importance of matrix metalloproteinase 2 and 9 (MMP-2 and -9) in human trophoblast invasion.Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2004; 2: 59
- Deficiency of decidual IL-10 in first trimester missed abortion: a lack of correlation with the decidual immune cell profile.Am J Reprod Immunol. 2002; 47: 242-250
- Maternal Th1- and Th2-type reactivity to placental antigens in normal human pregnancy and unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortions.Cell Immunol. 1999; 196: 122-130
Published online: June 08, 2018
Accepted: June 4, 2018
Received in revised form: April 16, 2018
Received: January 18, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.