The aim of the study was to analyze interrelations between estradiol/testosterone (E2/T) and estradiol/androstenedione (E2/A) indexes and nutritional status, insulin resistance in PCOS.
A cross-sectional study involved 76 PCOS (41 obese) and 67 Non-PCOS (40 obese) women. Anthropometric parameters and body composition were assessed. In fasting state of serum glucose, androgens, estradiol, FSH, LH, SHBG and insulin were measured. E2/T and E2/A indexes and the homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) were calculated.
The values of E2/T and E2/A indexes were significantly lower in the PCOS than Non-PCOS subjects, but did not differ significantly between the obese and normal weight groups. The lowest E2/T and E2/A values were observed in the normal weight PCOS group. Multivariable regression analyses revealed that the presence of PCOS was the major factor affecting both the log10 E2/T (β = −0.16) and log10 E2/A (β = −0.15) indexes. In addition, log10 E2/A index variability was explained by percentage of body fat (β = 0.57). HOMA-IR was not among the explanatory factors in all above models.
The E2/A index is more affected by nutritional status than E2/T index. The lower value of both indices in PCOS women with normal body mass suggest that aromatase activity in PCOS are related to nutritional status.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Criteria for defining polycystic ovary syndrome as a predominantly hyperandrogenic syndrome: an androgen excess society guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 91: 4237-4245
- Some problems with testosterone determination.Endocrinol Pol. 2007; 58: 440-445
- Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 41-47
- The polycystic ovary syndrome: a position statement from the European Society of Endocrinology.Eur J Endocrinol. 2014; 171: 1-29
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome: diagnosis and management.Clin Med Res. 2004; 2: 13-27
- Low levels of endogenous androgens increase the risk of atherosclerosis in elderly men: the Rotterdam study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002; 87: 3632-3639
- Body mass index and ovarian function are associated with endocrine and metabolic abnormalities in women with hyperandrogenic syndrome.Eur J Endocrinol. 2008; 158: 711-719
- Human aromatase: gene resequencing and functional genomics.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 11071-11082
- Modulation of aromatase activity as a mode of action for endocrine disrupting chemicals in a marine fish.Aquat Toxicol. 2014; 147: 140-150
- Association of genetic variations in aromatase gene with serum estrogen and estrogen/testosterone ratio in Chinese elderly men.J Clin Chemical Acta. 2010; 411: 53-58
- Aromatase mRNA expression in individual follicles from polycystic ovaries.Mol Hum Reprod. 1998; 4: 1-8
- Insulin-lowering treatment reduces aromatase activity in response to follicle-stimulating hormone in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2002; 78: 1234-1239
- Ovarian 17-hydroxyprogesterone hyperresponsiveness to gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist challenge in women with polycystic ovary syndrome is not mediated by luteinizing hormone hypersecretion: evidence from GnRH agonist and human chorionic gonadotropin stimulation testing.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997; 81: 4103-4107
- The correlation of aromatase activity and obesity in women with or without polycystic ovary syndrome.J Ovar Res. 2015; 8: 11
- Low estradiol-to-testosterone ratio is associated with oligo-anovulatory cycles and atherogenic lipidic pattern in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2011; 27: 579-586
- Estradiol-to-testosterone ratio is associated with response to metformin treatment in women with clomiphene citrate-resistant polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).Chang Gung Med J. 2008; 31: 477-483
- The role of metformin in polycistic ovary syndrome (PCOS) treatment.Ginekol Pol. 2008; 79: 8-11
- Glucocorticoid regulation of p450 aromatase activity in human adipose tissue: gender and site differences.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002; 87: 1327-1336
- Physical activity, body mass index, and ovulatory disorder infertility.Epidemiology. 2002; 13: 184-190
- Influence of female bodyweight on IVF outcome: a longitudinal multicentre cohort study of 487 infertile couples.Reprod Biomed Online. 2011; 23: 490-499
- In women with polycystic ovary syndrome and obesity, loss of intra-abdominal fat is associated with resumption of ovulation.Hum Reprod. 2011; 26: 2505-2512
Published online: July 30, 2019
Accepted: May 10, 2019
Received: June 25, 2018
© 2019 Published by Elsevier B.V.