Due to ineffective ovarian cancer (OC) screening programs, prophylactic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (PBSO) is suggested for BRCA1/2 genes mutation carriers. The reported incidence of clinically occult neoplasia and OC detected during PBSO varies widely (2–17 %), reflecting differences in studies design.
We aimed to prospectively evaluate the incidence of occult neoplasia in specimens collected during PBSO performed in a single tertiary center and to determine the effectiveness of this procedure in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers.
Between January 2010 and October 2016 a total of 564 new germline BRCA1/2 mutation positive women were identified and 71 carriers underwent laparoscopic PBSO. Patients were prospectively followed-up after the surgery and data on operation, age, complications, histological reports and BRCA1/2 gene mutation types were collected and analyzed.
Serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma (STIC) was diagnosed in 7 (9.85 %) and OC in 4 (5.6 %) women (one advanced (FIGO IIIC) and 3 early (FIGO IA/C) stages); total incidence 15.5 %. Women's mean age at the time of surgery was 46.5 years. The mean age of women diagnosed with STIC and OC was 45.9 years (42–64). The mean follow up time for women being diagnosed with OC/STIC was 3.72 years; no recurrence was observed. The median time to perform laparoscopic PBSO was 43 min. (ranging from 25 to 65 min.), no surgical complications occurred during this operation. Interestingly, we found statistically significant (P = 0.0105) enrichment of STIC lesions in BRCA1 c.4035delA (an established Baltic founder mutation) carriers group.
The incidence of pathological findings in BRCA1/2 mutation carries after PBSO is sufficiently high and our prospective study data supports PBSO as the most effective measure for reducing the risk of OC in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. A novel finding of the enrichment of STIC lesions in BRCA1 c.4035delA carriers may show important biological differences in OC tumorigenesis between different BRCA1 mutations, which warrant further investigations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The genesis and evolution of high-grade serous ovarian cancer.Nat Rev Cancer. 2010; 10: 803-808
- Ovarian cancer: role of ultrasound in preoperative diagnosis and population screening.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 40: 245-254
- Cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2014; 64 (2014): 9-29
- BRCA in breast cancer: ESMO clinical practice guidelines.Ann Oncol. 2011; 22: vi31-4
- Risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1609-1615
- Meta-analysis of risk reduction estimates associated with risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carriers.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009; 101: 80-87
- Salpingo-oophorectomy and the risk of ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal cancers in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 Mutation.JAMA. 2006; 296: 185-192
- NCCN guidelines insights: genetic/familial high-risk assessment: breast and ovarian, version 2.2017.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2017; 15: 9-20
- Risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in BRCA mutation carriers: role of serial sectioning in the detection of occult malignancy.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 127-132
- Impact of oophorectomy on cancer incidence and mortality in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 1547-1553
- Pathologic findings in prophylactic oophorectomy specimens in high-risk women.Gynecol Oncol. 2002; 87: 52-56
- Risk-reducing surgery for ovarian cancer: outcomes in 300 surgeries suggest a low peritoneal primary risk.Eur J Hum Genet. 2009; 17: 1381-1385
- Pathologic findings at risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy: primary results from Gynecologic Oncology Group Trial GOG-0199.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3275-3283
- The tubal fimbria is a preferred site for early adenocarcinoma in women with familial ovarian cancer syndrome.Am J Surg Pathol. 2006; 30: 230-236
- Recent advances in the understanding of the pathogenesis of serous carcinoma: the concept of low- and high-grade disease and the role of the fallopian tube.Diagn Histopathol (Oxf, Engl). 2008; 14: 352-365
- A candidate precursor to serous carcinoma that originates in the distal fallopian tube.J Pathol. 2007; 211: 26-35
- Primary fallopian tube malignancies in BRCA-positive women undergoing surgery for ovarian cancer risk reduction.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3985-3990
- Candidate serous cancer precursors in fallopian tube epithelium of BRCA1/2 mutation carriers.Mod Pathol. 2009; 22: 1133-1138
- Support of the’ fallopian tube hypothesis’ in a prospective series of risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy specimens.Eur J Cancer (Oxf, Engl: 1990). 2013; 49: 132-141
- Haplotype analysis and ancient origin of the BRCA1 c.4035delA Baltic founder mutation.Eur J Med Genet. 2013; 56: 125-130
- Comprehensive BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutational profile in Lithuania.Cancer Genet. 2014; 207: 195-205
- Association of type and location of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations with risk of breast and ovarian cancer.JAMA. 2015; 313: 1347-1361
- Risk management options elected by women after testing positive for a BRCA mutation.Gynecol Oncol. 2014; 132: 428-433
- Validation of an algorithm for the diagnosis of serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2012; 31: 243-253
- Stathmin 1 and p16(INK4A) are sensitive adjunct biomarkers for serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma.Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 139: 104-111
- Loss of LKB1 and p53 synergizes to alter fallopian tube epithelial phenotype and high-grade serous tumorigenesis.Oncogene. 2016; 35: 59-68
- Tu-be or not tu-be: that is the question… about serous ovarian carcinogenesis.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2013; 88: 134-143
- Prophylactic salpingectomy and prophylactic salpingoophorectomy for adnexal high-grade serous epithelial carcinoma: a reappraisal.Surg Oncol. 2015; 24: 335-344
- The impact of an expanded genetic testing program and selective oophorectomy on the incidence of ovarian cancer in West Pomerania.Clin Genet. 2017; 91: 322-327
- Prevention and screening in BRCA mutation carriers and other breast/ovarian hereditary cancer syndromes: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for cancer prevention and screening.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: v103-v110
Published online: January 30, 2020
Accepted: January 29, 2020
Received in revised form: January 24, 2020
Received: July 30, 2019
© 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.