- •Guidelines of the ISGE for vaginal hysterectomy for non-prolapsed uteri.
- •Two recommendations grade IB.
- •Four recommendations grade IC.
- •The vaginal route should be preferential for hysterectomy for the non-prolapsed uterus.
The study was established by the International Society for Gynecologic Endoscopy (ISGE) to provide evidence-based recommendations in the steps that should be undertaken in successfully performing a vaginal hysterectomy for a non-prolapsed uterus.
Material and methods
The ISGE Task Force for vaginal hysterectomy for the non-prolapsed uterus defined key clinical questions regarding the surgical technique, which led the Medline/PubMed and the Cochrane Database literature search. Identified pertinent articles, published in English from 1997 to 2019, were analysed. The available information was graded by the level of evidence using the Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE) Working Group approach. The recommendations were developed through multiple cycles of literature analysis and expert discussion.
Six recommendations were established:
1. A circular incision at the level of cervico-vaginal junction is recommended (grade IC).
2. The posterior peritoneum should be opened first (grade IC).
3. Clamping and cutting the uterosacral and cardinal ligaments before or after getting access into anterior peritoneum is recommended (grade IC).
4. Routine closure of the peritoneum during vaginal hysterectomy is not recommended (grade IB).
5. Vertical or horizontal closure of the vaginal vault following vaginal hysterectomy is recommended (grade IC).
6. To insert a vaginal plug following vaginal hysterectomy is not recommended (grade IB).
Vaginal hysterectomy for a non-prolapsed uterus should be the preferential route for removing the uterus when hysterectomy is indicated. The ISGE provides evidence-based practical guidelines on how vaginal hysterectomy for non-prolapsed uterus should be undertaken. All efforts should be directed in teaching the surgical technique of vaginal hysterectomy during residency.
Abbreviations:AH (abdominal hysterectomy), GRADE (grading of recommendations, assessment, development and evaluation), ISGE (International Society for Gynecologic Endoscopy), LH (laparoscopic hysterectomy), VH (vaginal hysterectomy)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynaecological disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; (CD003677)
- Hysterectomy.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2006; 20: 73-86
- Vaginal hysterectomy: past, present and future.Int Urogynecol J. 2014; 25: 1161-1165
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy: challenges and limitations.Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2005; 14: 145-159
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy.J Gynecol Surg. 1989; 5: 213-216
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy.1st ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford1993: 79-117
- Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynaecological disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; (CD003677)
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 444: choosing the route of hysterectomy for benign disease.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 1156-1158
- Hysterectomy for benign disease: clinical practice guidelines from the French College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2016; 202: 83-91
- Urinary tract injury at benigngynecologic surgery and the role of cystoscopy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 1161-1167
- AAGL advancing minimally Invasive Gynecology Worldwide. AAGL position statement: route of hysterectomy to treat benign uterine disease.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011; 18: 1-3
- Hysterectomy outcomes in patients with similar indications.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 95: 787-793
- The scope of vaginal hysterectomy.Eur Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2004; 115: 224-230
- Nationwide use of laparoscopic hysterectomy compared with abdominal and vaginal approaches.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 1041-1048
- Abdominal or vaginal hysterectomy for enlarged uteri: a randomized clinical trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 187: 1561-1567
- Challenging generally accepted contraindications to vaginal hysterectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 184: 1386-1389
- Hysterectomy for benign uterine pathology among women without previous vaginal delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 829-837
- Hysterectomy in patients with previous caesarean section: comparison between laparoscopic and vaginal approaches. A prospective randomized controlled study.Donn J Med Med Sci. 2015; 2: 103-107
- Vaginal route as the norm when planning hysterectomy for benign conditions: change in practice.Obstet Gynaecol. 2001; 97: 613-616
- Association of previous caesarean delivery with surgical complications after a hysterectomy later in life.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 1148-1155
- Vaginal hysterectomy in nulliparous women without prolapse: a prospective comparative study.BJOG. 2003; 110: 515-518
- Vaginal hysterectomy for benign disorders in obese women: a prospective study.BJOG. 2005; 112: 223-227
- Vaginal hysterectomy: dispelling the myths.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 424-428
- Nationwide trends in theperformance of inpatient hysterectomy in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 233-241
- Changing hysterectomy technique from open abdominal to laparoscopic: new trend in Oslo, Norway.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2007; 14: 74-77
- Hysterectomy rates in the United States, 2003.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 110: 1091-1095
- A series of 3190 laparoscopic hysterectomies for benign disease from 1990 to 2006: evaluation of complications compared with vaginal and abdominal procedures.BJOG. 2009; 116: 492-500
- Establishing cut off scores on assessments of surgical skills to determine surgical competence.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203 (e6): e1-81
- Evidence-based guidelines for vaginal hysterectomy of the International Society for Gynecologic Endoscopy (ISGE).Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2018; 231: 262-267
- Cost effectiveness of laparoscopic hysterectomy compared with standard hysterectomy: results of randomized trial.BMJ. 2004; 328: 134-140
- Decision-directed hysterectomy: a possible approach to improve medical and economic outcomes.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2000; 71: 159-6936
- How to increase the proportion ofhysterectomies performed vaginally.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 179: 1008-1012
- Changes in hysterectomy trends after the implementation of a clinical pathway.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 139-147
- Guidelines for the selection of the route of hysterectomy: application in a resident clinic population.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 187: 1521-1527
- Hysterectomy outcomes in patients with similar indications.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 95 (787-81)
- Super flexion position for difficult speculum examination.Int J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 92-93
- Abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy.2nd ed. Heinemann, London1977: 81-82
- Vaginal hysterectomy.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2005; 19: 307-335
- Vaginal hysterectomy: its indications and technique.Am J Surg. 1940; 48: 284-288
- A plea for vaginal hysterectomy in India: its indicationsand technique. A record of 150 consecutive cases.Ind Med Gaz. 1928; 63: 613-617
- Vaginal hysterectomy: overview technique, periproceduralcare.2015
- Vaginal hysterectomy and relative merits over abdominal and laparoscopically assisted hysterectomy.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2013; 27: 393-413
- An approach to vesico uterine peritoneum through a new surgical space.J Gynecol Surg. 1996; 12: 135-140
- The ten-step vaginal hysterectomy- A newer and better technique.J Bangladesh Coll Phys Surg. 2012; 30: 72-77
- The ten-step vaginal hysterectomy.Prog Obst Gynaecol. 2006; 17: 358-368
- Hysterectomy for benign disease.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 11: 753-767
- Vaginal and laparoscopic vaginal surgery.1st ed. Informa Healthcare, London2004: 47-67
- Peritoneal closure at vaginal hysterectomy: a reassessment.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 87: 40-43
- Royal college of obstetrics and gynaecology. Peritoneal closure guideline No 15.RCOG, London2002
- Society of Gynecologic Surgeons Systematic Review Group. Comparison of Vaginal hysterectomy techniques and interventions for benign indications: a systematic review.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 877-886
- Effects of horizontal vs vertical cuff closure techniques on vaginal length after vaginal hysterectomy: a prospective randomised study.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014; 21: 884-887
- A randomised trial comparing methods of vaginal cuff closure at vaginal hysterectomy and the effect on vaginal length.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 1805-1808
- To pack not to pack: a randomized trial of vaginal packing after vaginal reconstructive surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2016; 22: 111-117
- 38 th Annual IUGA Meeting. Dublin, Ireland, 28 May – 1 June 2013: Oral Presentations, 2013.Int Urogynaecol J. 2013; 24: 1-152
- The value of vaginal packing in pelvic floor surgery: a randomized double blind study.Int Urogynaecol J. 2014; 25: 585-591
- Prospective comparison of indwelling catheter drainage versus no catheter after vaginal hysterectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1994; 170: 1815-1818
- Short term versus conventional catheterisation after genital prolapse surgery.Bangladesh J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011; 26: 68-71
- Vaginal versus laparoscopic hysterectomy.Contemporary. 2020; (Ob/Gyn: www aagl.org/cobgyn)
- Clinical decision-making from theory to practice: anatomy of a decision.JAMA. 1990; 263: 441-443
- Clinical indications for hysterectomy route: patient characteristics or physician preference?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 173: 1452-1460
- Hysterectomy revisited.Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol. 1991; 131: 148
- The difficult vaginal hysterectomy.in: Sheth S.S. Vaginal hysterectomy. second edition. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi, India2014: 172-179
Published online: June 16, 2020
Accepted: June 15, 2020
Received in revised form: June 10, 2020
Received: February 11, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.