- •Most withdrawal symptoms are mild in neonates of women taking psychotropic drugs.
- •The risk is increased when a mother is administered with multiple drugs.
- •Breastfeeding may be protective against withdrawal symptoms.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Prevalence of mental disorders and mental health service use in Japan.Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2019; 73: 458-465
- Bipolar disorder, affective psychosis, and schizophrenia in pregnancy and the post-partum period.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1789-1799
- Risk of recurrence in women with bipolar disorder during pregnancy:prospective study of mood stabilizer discontinuation.Am J Psychiatry. 2007; 164: 1817-1824
- Pharmacological aspect of neonatal antidepressant withdrawal.Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2008; 63: 267-279
- Research on systemic care system for a high risk child management of newborn babies with the withdrawal syndrome. Questionnaire survey on evaluation method by a check list and score table.1995 (Accessed 2020-04-12)
- Japan ministry of health, labour and welfare.2010 (Accessed 2020-04-12)
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome:assessment and management.Addict Dis. 1975; 2: 141-158
- A proposed narcotic withdrawal score for use with newborn infants. A pragmatic evaluation of its efficacy.Clin Pediatr. 1975; 14: 592-594
- Management of neonatal abstinence syndrome in neonatal intensive care units: a national survey.J Perinatol. 2006; 26: 15-17
- Managing drug withdrawal in the newborn infant.Semin Fetal Neonat Med. 2007; 12: 127-133
- Neonatal drug withdrawal syndrome: cross-country comparison using hospital administrative data in England, the USA, Western Australia and Ontario, Canada.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2016; 101: 26-30
- Increasing incidence of the neonatal abstinence syndrome in U.S. neonatal ICUs.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2118-2126
- Neonatal discontinuation syndrome in serotonergic antidepressant–exposed neonates.J Clin Psychiatry. 2017; 78: 605-611
- Pharmacologic factors associated with transient neonatal symptoms following prenatal psychotropic medication exposure.J Clin Psychiatry. 2004; 65: 230-237
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome after in utero exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in term infants.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 173-176
- Risk factors for poor neonatal adaptation after exposure to antidepressants in utero.Acta Paediatr. 2015; 104: 384-391
- Can venlafaxine in breast milk attenuate the norepinephrine and serotonin reuptake neonatal withdrawal syndrome.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2006; 28: 299-301
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome: the role of breastfeeding.Infant. 2014; 10: 9-13
- Committee on drugs; committee on fetus and newborn; American academy of pediatrics. Neonatal drug withdrawal.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e540-60