- •Vaginal hysterectomy has distinct benefits over other routes for hysterectomy.
- •The vaginal route should be considered the preferred choice in women undergoing hysterectomy for benign indications.
- •Formal hysterectomy route decision algorithm promotes the vaginal approach.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Overview of current trends in hysterectomy.Expert Rev ObstetGynecol. 2009; 4: 673-685
- The future of hysterectomy.BJOG. 2005; 112: 133-139
- Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynaecological disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; : CD003677
- The eVALuate study: two parallel randomised trials, one comparing laparoscopic with abdominal hysterectomy, the other comparing with vaginal hysterectomy.BMJ. 2004; 328: 129-133
- Randomized, prospective, double-blind comparison of abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy in women without uterovaginal prolapses.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2003; 82: 351-358
- Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynaecological disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; : CD003677
- Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynaecological disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; : CD003677
- Comparison of laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy, total abdominal hysterectomy, and vaginal hysterectomy.Ulster Med J. 2006; 75: 54-58
- Persistent high rates of hysterectomy in Western Australia: a population-based study of 83 000 procedures over 23 years.BJOG. 2006; 113: 804-809
- An audit of indications, complications, and justification of hysterectomies at a teaching hospital in India.Int J Rep Med. 2014; (online)https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/279273
- Vaginal hysterectomy for the enlarged uterus.Gynaecol Obstet Invest. 2006; 61: 4-8
- Hysterectomy for benign uterine pathology among women without previous vaginal delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 829-837
- Hysterectomy in patients with previous caesarean section: comparison between laparoscopic and vaginal approaches. A prospective randomized controlled study.Donn J Med Sci. 2015; 2: 103-107
- Vaginal hysterectomy in the absence of prolapse.Obstet Gynaecol. 2005; 7: 233-240
- Vaginal hysterectomy: past, present, and future.Int Urogynecol J. 2014; 25: 1161-1165
- Vaginal hysterectomy: dispelling the myths.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 424-428
- The epidemiology of hysterectomy: findings in a large cohort study.B J ObstetGynecol. 1992; 99: 402-407
- Do British women undergo too many or too few hysterectomies?.Soc Sci Med. 1988; 27: 987-994
- Initial experience with laparoscopy-assisted vaginal hysterectomy.B J Obstet Gynecol. 1992; 99: 402-407
- Hysterectomy in the United States, 2003.Obstet Gynecol. 1994; 83: 549-555
ACOG Committee opinion 444(2009) Choosing the route of hysterectomy for benign disease. American College of Obstetrician and Gynecologists. ObstetGynecol 1145: 1156-1158.
- The epidemiological profile of hysterectomy in rural Chinese women: a population-based study.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e015351
- Comparison of surgical indications for hysterectomy by age and approach in 4653 Chinese women.Front Med (Lausanne). 2014; 8: 464-470
- Why hysterectomy rates are lower in India.Indian J Community Med. 2008; 33: 196
- An audit of indications, complications, and justification of hysterectomies at a teaching hospital in India.Int J Reprod Med. 2014; 2014: 1-6
- Hysterectomy at a Canadian tertiary care facility: results of a one year retrospective review.BMC Womens Health. 2004; 4: 10
- Costs and mortality rates of surgical approaches to hysterectomy in Brazil.Revista de SaúdePública. 2018; 52: 25
- The scope of vaginal hysterectomy.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2004; 115: 224-230
- Assessing current trends in resident hysterectomy training.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2011; 17: 210-214
- Evidence-based practical guidelines for vaginal hysterectomy of International Society for Gynecologic Endoscopy(ISGE).Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2020; 231: 262-267
- Changes in hysterectomy trends after implementation of a clinical pathway.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 139-147
- Decision-directed hysterectomy: a possible approach to improve medical and academic outcomes.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2000; 71: 159-169
- 28 years of using hysterectomy guidelines to determine the feasibility of vaginal hysterectomy.Gynecol Obstet (Paris). 2016; 6: 1-6
- Clinical opinion: guidelines for hysterectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 191: 635-640
- Challenging generally accepted contraindications to vaginal hysterectomy.Am J ObstetGynecol. 2001; 184: 1361-1391
- Changing indications for vaginal hysterectomy.Am J ObstetGynecol. 1980; 136: 153-158
- Non-decent vaginal hysterectomy in rural setup of MP: a poor acceptance.J ObstetGynaecol India. 2016; 66: 459-504
- AAGL position statement: route of hysterectomy to treat benignuterine disease.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011; 18: 1-3
- Nationwide use of laparoscopic hysterectomy compared with abdominal and vaginal approaches.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 1041-1048
Donnez O., Jadoul P., Squifflet J., Donnez J. A series of 3190 laparoscopic hysterectomies for benign disease from 1990 to 2006: evaluation of complications compared with vaginal and abdominal procedures. BJOG. 116(4):492–500.
- Determining optimal route of hysterectomy for benign indications: clinical decision tree algorithm.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 130-138
- FINHYST, a prospective study of 5279 hysterectomies: complications and their risk factors.Hum Reprod. 2011; 26: 1741-1751
- Studi di Catanzaro, Italy “Total laparoscopic hysterectomy versus vaginal hysterectomy: a prospective randomised trial”.Minerva Ginecol. 2007; 559: 99-105
- Urinary tract injury at benign gynaecologic surgery and therole of cystoscopy.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 1161-1169
Stang A., Merril R.M., Kuss O. Nationwide rates of conversion from laparoscopic or vaginal hysterectomy to open abdominal hysterectomy in Germany. Eur J Epidem; 26(2):125-133.
- Surgical routes and complications of hysterectomy for benign disorders: a prospective observational study in French university hospitals.Hum Reprod. 2007; 22: 260-265
- Preferred and actual methods of hysterectomy: a survey of current practices among members of the South African Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.S Afr J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020; 26 (published online https//doi.org/10.7196)
- Laparoscopy-assisted vaginal hysterectomy.J Gynecol Surg. 1990; 6: 185-193
- Implications of performing laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomyversus abdominal hysterectomy on suitable patients in a South African hospital setting.SAfr JOG. 2008; 14: 70-74
- Resident opinions on vaginal hysterectomy training.Female Pelvic Med ReconstrSurg. 2011; 17: 314-317
- Underexposure of residents in training in the art of vaginal hysterectomy in Nigeria.Am J Clin Med Res. 2014; 2: 22-25