- •The uptake of same-day discharge (SDD) for minimally invasive hysterectomies (MIH) was found to be increasing in a large healthcare system over years since the implementation of SDD initiative.
- •The uptake of SDD for MIH was associated with lower surgical complication rate.
- •The successful uptake of SDD across different specialty types in heterogeneous hospitals of UPMC proved the feasibility of applying SDD initiative across the country.
- •Compared with other specialties, the uptake of SDD was most prominent among urogynecologists.
Abbreviations:SDD (same day discharge), MIH (minimally invasive hysterectomy), TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy), LOS (length of stay)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Nationwide trends in the performance of inpatient hysterectomy in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 233-241
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Website, Key Statistics from the National Survey of Family Growth, Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2015. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nsfg/key_statistics/h.htm#hysterectomy. Accessed November 13, 2019.
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 444: choosing the route of hysterectomy for benign disease.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 1156-1158
- Predictors of overnight admission after minimally invasive hysterectomy in the expert setting.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2019; 26: 122-128
- The safety of same-day discharge after laparoscopic hysterectomy for endometrial cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2016; 142: 508-513
- Same-day discharge after laparoscopic hysterectomy for endometrial Cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 178-185
- The feasibility and safety of same-day discharge after robotic-assisted hysterectomy alone or with other procedures for benign and malignant indications.Gynecol Oncol. 2014; 133: 552-555
- Same-day discharge is feasible and safe in patients undergoing minimally invasive staging for gynecologic malignancies.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212 (186.e181-188)
- Factors influencing same-day hospital discharge and risk factors for readmission after robotic surgery in the gynecologic oncology patient population.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2015; 22: 219-226
- Systematic review of same-day discharge after minimally invasive hysterectomy.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2017; 136: 128-137
- Feasibility and safety of same-day discharge after minimally invasive hysterectomy in gynecologic oncology: a systematic review of the literature.Gynecol Oncol. 2016; 143: 439-442
- Feasibility and safety of same-day discharge after laparoscopic radical hysterectomy for cervix cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2017; 147: 572-576
- Predictors of 30-day readmission and impact of same-day discharge in laparoscopic hysterectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213 (344.e341-347)
- Feasibility and economic impact of same-day discharge for women who undergo laparoscopic hysterectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 207 (382.e381-389)
- Vaginal and Laparoscopic hysterectomy as an outpatient procedure: a systematic review.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2017; 216: 212-223
- Same-day discharge after laparoscopic hysterectomy.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 1136-1141
- Stakeholder engagement to identify priorities for improving the quality and value of critical care.PLoS One. 2015; 10 (e0140141)
- Implementation of hysterectomy pathway: impact on complications.Womens Health Issues. 2017; 27: 493-498
- Hysterectomy pathway as the global engine of practice change: implications for value in care.Cent Asian J Glob Health. 2017; 6: 299
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities in hysterectomy route for benign conditions.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2018; 5: 758-765
- Changes in hysterectomy trends after the implementation of a clinical pathway.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 139-147
J. G. STATISTICAL BRIEF #425: National Health Care Expenses in the U.S. Civilian Noninstitutionalized Population, 2011. Available at: http://meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/data_files/publications/st425/stat425.shtml. Accessed November 13, 2019.
- Association of same-day discharge after elective percutaneous coronary intervention in the United States with costs and outcomes.JAMA Cardiol. 2018; 3: 1041-1049