- •Sacroiliac dysfunction during pregnancy is a primary cause of pain and disability.
- •There is wide heterogeneity in approaches to sacroiliac dysfunction in pregnancy.
- •Expert advice is effective for the reduction of symptoms of sacroiliac dysfunction.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Psychological determinants of pregnancy related lumbopelvic pain: a prospective cohort study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013; 92: 797-803
- Pelvic girdle pain and lumbar pain in pregnancy: a cohort study of the consequences in terms of health and functioning.Spine. 2006; 31: E149-E155
- Pelvic girdle pain in pregnancy: the impact on function.Acta Obstet Gynaecol Scand. 2006; 85: 160-164
- Predictors and consequences of long-term pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain: a longitudinal follow-up study.BMC Musculoskel Disord. 2016; 17: 276-289
Hilde G, Gutke A, Slade SC, Stuge B. Physical therapy interventions for pelvic girdle pain (PGP) after pregnancy. Cochrane Database System Rev 2016;11:CD012441.
- Can supervised group exercises including ergonomic advice reduce the prevalence and severity of low back pain and pelvic girdle pain in pregnancy? A randomized controlled trial.Phys Ther. 2012; 92: 781-790
- Diagnosis and classification of pelvic girdle pain disorders —Part 1: a mechanism based approach within a biopsychosocial framework.Man Ther. 2007; 12: 86-97
- Pregnancy-related lumbopelvic pain: listening to Australian women.Nurs Res. 2012; 2012: 1-10
- Pelvic girdle pain during or after pregnancy: a review of recent evidence and a clinical care path proposal.Facts Views Vis Obgyn. 2013; 5: 33-43
Clinical practice guideline management of pelvic girdle pain in pregnancy and post-partum. Dublin: Royal College of Physicians of Ireland; 2014.
- Pelvic girdle pain in the antepartum population.J Wom Health Phys Ther. 2017; 5: 3-39
- Persistence of back pain symptoms after pregnancy and bone mineral density changes as measured by quantitative ultrasound – a two year longitudinal follow up study.BMC Musculoskel Disord. 2011; 12: 1-7
Filipec M, Matijević M. Expert advice about therapeutic exercise during pregnancy reduces the symptoms of sacroiliac dysfunction. J Perinatal Med 2020;48:565–71.
- Evidence-based diagnosis and treatment of the painful sacroiliac joint.J Man Manip. 2008; 16: 142-152
- Interpretation of visual analogue scale ratings and change scores: a reanalysis of two clinical trials of postoperative surgery pain.J Pain. 2003; 4: 407-414
- A comparison of five low back pain disability questionnaires: realiability and responsiveness.Phys Ther. 2012; 82: 8-24
- The Quebec back pain disability scale.Spine. 1995; 20: 341-352
- The influence of gestational trimester, physical activity practice and weight gain on the low back and pelvic pain intensity in low risk pregnant women.J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2019; 32: 671-676
- Strengthening transversus abdominis in pregnancy related pelvic pain: the pressure biofeedback stabilization training.Glob J Health Sci. 2012; 4: 55-61
- Clinical practice guidelines: pregnancy care.Australian Government Department of Health, Canberra2018: 355-357
Walters C, West S. Nippita TA. Pelvic girdle pain in pregnancy. Melbourne: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners; 2018.
- Determining the prevalence of patterns of pregnancy-induced pelvic girdle pain and low back pain in urban and rural populations: a cross-sectional study.J Sci Soc. 2016; 43: 70-74
Bjelland EK, Eskild A, Johansen R, Eberhard-Gran M. Pelvic girdle pain in pregnancy: the impact of parity. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010;203:141–6.
- Pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain and its relationship with relaxin levels during pregnancy: a systematic review.Eur Spine J. 2012; 21: 1769-1776
- The effect of relaxin on the musculoskeletal system.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2014; 24: e220-e229
- The biomechanics of pregnancy: a systematic review.J Funct Morphol Kinesiol. 2019; 4: 72-88
- Association between the serum levels of relaxin and responses to the active straight leg raise test in pregnancy.Man Ther. 2012; 17: 225-230
- Pregnancy and menstrual hormone levels in mothers of twins compared to mothers of singletons.Ann Hum Biol. 1998; 25: 69-75
- Mid-pregnancy, perinatal, and neonatal reproductive endocrinology: a prospective cohort study in twins and singleton control subjects.Fertil Steril. 2015; 104: 1527-1534.e9
- Association of pre-pregnancy body mass index, pregnancy-related weight changes, and parity with the risk of developing degenerative musculoskeletal conditions.Arthr Rheum. 2016; 68: 1156-1164
- Lumbar back and posterior pelvic pain during pregnancy: a 3-year follow-up.Eur Spine J. 2002; 11: 267-271
- European guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic girdle pain.Eur Spine J. 2008; 17: 794-819
Liddle SD, Pennick V. Interventions for preventing and treating low-back and pelvic pain during pregnancy. Cochrane Database System Rev 2013;8:CD001139.