- •Providers across the U.S. are administering combination therapy to prevent preterm birth.
- •In women with prior sPTB, most respondents would consider combination therapy, most commonly weekly intramuscular progesterone (IM-P) and serial cervical length (CL) measurements.
- •In patients with incidentally dilated cervix, PRCRN members were most likely to offer dual therapy (cerclage + VP), whereas SMFM respondents were most likely to continue with VP only.
- •In women with a history of cervical insufficiency, PRCRN respondents were most likely to offer a combination ofinterventions.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Births: Final Data for 2015. National vital statistics reports: from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics.Nat Vital Statistics Syst. 2017; 66: 1
- Prediction of preterm birth: cervical sonography.Semin Perinatol. 2009; 33: 317-324
- The length of the cervix and the risk of spontaneous premature delivery. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Maternal Fetal Medicine Unit Network.New Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 567-573
- Prevention of recurrent preterm delivery by 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate.New Engld J Med. 2003; 348: 2379-2385
- Progesterone and the risk of preterm birth among women with a short cervix.New Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 462-469
- Vaginal progesterone reduces the rate of preterm birth in women with a sonographic short cervix: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Ultrasound Obstetrics Gynecol. 2011; 38: 18-31
Final report of the Medical Research Council/Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists multicentre randomised trial of cervical cerclage. MRC/RCOG Working Party on Cervical Cerclage. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1993;100:516-23.
Owen J, Hankins G, Iams JD, et al. Multicenter randomized trial of cerclage for preterm birth prevention in high-risk women with shortened midtrimester cervical length. Am J Obstetrics Gynecol 2009;201:375.e1-8.
- Alternative treatment for a short cervix: the cervical pessary.Semin Perinatol. 2009; 33: 338-342
- Cervical pessary in pregnant women with a short cervix (PECEP): an open-label randomised controlled trial.Lancet (London, England). 2012; 379: 1800-1806
Practice bulletin no. 130: prediction and prevention of preterm birth. Obstetr Gynecol 2012;120:964-73.
ACOG Committee Opinion number 419 October 2008 (replaces no. 291, November 2003). Use of progesterone to reduce preterm birth. Obstetr Gynecol 2008;112:963-5.
- Progesterone for preterm birth prevention: an evolving intervention.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 219-224
- Progesterone vaginal gel for the reduction of recurrent preterm birth: primary results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Ultrasound Obstetrics Gynecol. 2007; 30: 687-696
- Effectiveness of cerclage according to severity of cervical length shortening: a meta-analysis.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 35: 468-473
- Cerclage for short cervix on ultrasonography in women with singleton gestations and previous preterm birth: a meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 663-671
Berghella V, Figueroa D, Szychowski JM, et al. 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate for the prevention of preterm birth in women with prior preterm birth and a short cervical length. Am J Obst Gynecol 2010;202:351.e1-6.
- The effect of 17alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate on preterm birth in women with an ultrasound-indicated cerclage.Am J Perinatol. 2011; 28: 389-394
- Cerclage for the prevention of preterm birth in high risk women receiving intramuscular 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate.The J Maternal-fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 25: 2686-2689
- Emergent cerclage.Surgery, Gynecol Obstetrics. 1990; 170: 323-326
- To do or not to do emergency cervical cerclage (a rescue stitch) at 24–28 weeks gestation in addition to progesterone for patients coming early in labor? A prospective randomized trial for efficacy and safety.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2015; 292: 1255-1260
- Addition of adjuvant progesterone to physical-exam-indicated cervical cerclage to prevent preterm birth.J Obstetrics Gynaecol Res. 2016; 42: 1666-1672
ACOG Practice Bulletin No.142: Cerclage for the management of cervical insufficiency. Obstetrics Gynecol 2014;123:372–9.
- Effectiveness of 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate on preterm birth prevention in women with history-indicated cerclage.Am J Perinatol. 2013; 30: 755-758
- Does adjunctive use of progesterone in women with cerclage improve prevention of preterm birth?.J Maternal-fetal Neonatal Med. 2018; 31: 202-208
- Adjuvant administration of 17-alpha-hydroxy-progesterone caproate in women with three or more second trimester pregnancy losses undergoing cervical cerclage is no more effective than cerclage alone.J Perinat Med. 2018; 46: 155-161
- Outcomes with cerclage alone compared with cerclage plus 17alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 983-988
Stricker N, Timmesfeld N, Kyvernitakis I, Goerges J, Arabin B. Vaginal progesterone combined with cervical pessary: a chance for pregnancies at risk for preterm birth? Am J Obstetrics Gynecol 2016;214:739.e1–e10.