- •The Foley catheter balloon has safety advantages for labour induction.
- •Uterotonics are used when the balloon is expelled prior to labour.
- •To avoid uterotonics, balloon induction may be extended with side-by-side balloons.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Vaginal streptococcus B colonization is not associated with increased infectious morbidity in labor induction.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2021; 100: 1501-1510
- Induction of labor at full-term in pregnant women with uncomplicated singleton pregnancy: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2019; 98: 958-966
- Evidence-based labor management: induction of labor (part 2).Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2020; 2: 100136https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajogmf.2020.100136
de Vaan MD, Ten Eikelder ML, Jozwiak M, et al. Mechanical methods for induction of labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019 Oct 18;10(10):CD001233. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001233.pub3..
Grace Ng YH, Aminuddin AA, Tan TL, Kuppusamy R, Tagore S, Yeo GSH. Multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing the safety in the first 12 h, efficacy and maternal satisfaction of a double balloon catheter and prostaglandin pessary for induction of labour. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2021 May 11. doi: 10.1007/s00404-021-06090-y. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33973051.
- Induction of labor with Foley catheter and risk of subsequent preterm birth: follow-up study of two randomized controlled trials (PROBAAT-1 and -2).Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Feb; 57: 292-297
- Foley catheter for induction of labour: a UK observational study.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020; 40: 1064-1068
- Six versus twelve hours of single-balloon catheter placement with oxytocin administration for labor induction: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jun; 224 (Epub 2021 Mar 23 PMID: 33771496): 611.e1-611.e8https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2021.03.021
- Efficacy and safety of oral misoprostol vs transvaginal balloon catheter for labor induction: An observational study within the SWEdish Postterm Induction Study (SWEPIS).Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2021; 100: 1463-1477https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.14155
- Cervical ripening in prolonged pregnancies by silicone double balloon catheter versus vaginal dinoprostone slow release system: The MAGPOP randomised controlled trial.PLoS Med. 2021 Feb 11; 18: e1003448https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1003448
McDonagh M, Skelly AC, Tilden E, et al. Outpatient Cervical Ripening: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jun 1;137(6):1091-1101. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000004382. PMID: 33752219; PMCID: PMC8011513.
- Experiences of induction of labor with a catheter - A prospective randomized controlled trial comparing the outpatient and inpatient setting.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2021; 100: 410-417
- Vaginal prostaglandin E2 versus double-balloon catheter for induction of labour for vaginal birth after caesarean section: A retrospective cohort study.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2021 Apr; 259 (Epub 2021 Feb 11 PMID: 33610830): 90-94https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2021.02.007
Diaz A, Aedo S, Burky D, et al. Sonographic cervical length predicts vaginal delivery after previous cesarean section in women with low Bishop score induced with a double-balloon catheter. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2021 Jan 5:1-7
- Intracervical balloon catheter for labor induction after rupture of membranes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jun; 224 (Epub 2021 Mar 6 PMID: 33689751): 624-628https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2021.03.002
- Massive antepartum haemorrhage at insertion of Foley balloon catheter for induction of labour.BMJ Case Rep. 2021; 14: e239591https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2020-239591
- Maternal and neonatal outcomes of pregnancies complicated by late fetal growth restriction undergoing induction of labor with dinoprostone compared with cervical balloon: A retrospective, international study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2021; 100: 1313-1321
- Adverse intrapartum outcome in pregnancies complicated by small for gestational age and late fetal growth restriction undergoing induction of labor with Dinoprostone, Misoprostol or mechanical methods: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2020; 252: 455-467
- Intrauterine Foley catheter for 48 versus 24 hours for cervical ripening: A randomized controlled trial.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2020; 149: 225-230
- Increased single-balloon Foley catheter volume for induction of labor and time to delivery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2018; 97: 1051-1060
- Extra-amniotic balloon for preinduction cervical ripening: a randomized comparison of weighted traction versus unweighted.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 25: 581-586
- Foley catheter versus cervical double balloon for labor induction: a prospective randomized study.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2021; 34: 1034-1041
Hofmeyr GJ. Balloon labour induction and the price of elegance. BJOG. 2020 Dec;127(13):1655.
Ngene NC, Daef G. Transient gestational hypertension and pre-eclampsia: Two case reports and literature review on the need for stringent monitoring. S Afr Fam Pract (2004). 2021 Mar 16;63(1):e1-e6.
- A literature review and best practice advice for second and third trimester risk stratification, monitoring, and management of pre-eclampsia: Compiled by the Pregnancy and Non-Communicable Diseases Committee of FIGO (the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics).Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2021; 154: 3-31
Bishop D, Dyer RA, Maswime S, et al, ASOS investigators. Maternal and neonatal outcomes after caesarean delivery in the African Surgical Outcomes Study: a 7-day prospective observational cohort study. Lancet Glob Health. 2019 Apr;7(4):e513-e522.
- FIGO (international Federation of Gynecology and obstetrics) initiative on fetal growth: best practice advice for screening, diagnosis, and management of fetal growth restriction.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2021; 152: 3-57
N.C. Ngene J. Moodley Induction of labour in low-resource settings Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. S1521–6934 21 2021 Aug 20 00118 8
- Double- versus single-balloon catheters for labour induction and cervical ripening: a meta-analysis.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019; 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-019-2491-4
- Foley catheter silicone versus latex for term outpatient induction of labour: A randomised trial.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2019; 59: 235-242
Kuhlmann MJ, Spencer N, Garcia-Jasso C, et al. Foley Bulb Insertion by Blind Placement Compared With Direct Visualization: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Jan 1;137(1):139-145.
Obut M, Balsak D, Sarsmaz K, et al. Double Foley catheter for labor induction: An alternative method. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2021 Jul 1. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.13807. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34197641