The purpose of this study is to analyze the precise anatomical characteristics of a large group of patients with Herlyn-Werner-Wunderlich syndrome together with the long-term follow-up and the reproductive performance.
Retrospective analysis of prospectively collected data. In two tertiary medical centers, from 2008 to 2021, 51 patients with HWWS underwent surgery via the same technique. Presenting symptoms, preoperative investigations, operative management, and long-term follow-up with obstetric outcome were assessed.
The surgical procedure was successful in all cases with no major complications recorded. Postoperative course was uneventful. The median follow-up was 6,5 years, with a range from 6 months to 13 years. After surgery, among 14 patients who sought pregnancies, 12 (85,71%) were successful. Of these 11 patients had a total of 22 pregnancies, resulting in spontaneous miscarriage in 27% (6/22), premature birth (<37 weeks) in 36% (8/22) and full-term birth in 36% (8/22). Overall the pregnancies demonstrated had a good course.
Early diagnosis is essential in establishing prompt and correct surgical treatment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A case of unilateral haematocolpos, haematometra and haematosalpinx.J Obstet Gynaecol Br Emp. 1922; 29: 643
- Obstructive Müllerian anomalies in menstruating adolescent girls: a report of 22 cases.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2018; 31: 252-2573
- Hysteroscopic metroplasty for septate uterus.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 1995; 22 (PMID: 8524532): 473-489
Rock JA, Jones HWJ. The double uterus associated with an obstructed shemivagina and ipsilateral renal agenesis. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol., 1980138, 339–342.
- Rotem E (2020) Imaging right lower quadrant pain: not always appendicitis.Clin Imaging. 2020; 63: 65-82
- The presentation and early diagnosis of the rudimentary uterine horn.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 1456-1467
- Uterus didelphys, obstructed hemivagina, and ipsilateral renal agenesis: the University of Minnesota experience.Fertil Steril. 1992 Apr; 57: 756-761
- Clinical characteristics and treatment of Herlyn-Werner-Wunderlich syndrome.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2014 Nov; 290: 947-950
- Obstructed hemivagina and ipsilateral renal anomaly (OHVIRA) syndrome: management and follow-up.Fertil Steril. 2007 Apr; 87: 918-922
- Diagnosis, management, and outcome of obstructed hemivagina and ipsilateral renal agenesis (OHVIRA syndrome): Is there a correlation between MRI findings and outcome?.Clin Imaging. 2020; 59: 172-178
- Didelphic uterus and obstructed hemivagina with renal agenesis: case report and review of the literature.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2004; 17: 137-141
- Clinical characteristics of 70 patients with Herlyn-Werner-Wunderlich syndrome.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2013; 121: 173-175
- Pregnancies in women with uterine malformation, treated obstruction of hemivagina and ipsilateral renal agenesis.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2013; 287: 975-978
- Resectoscopic treatment of uterus didelphys with unilateral imperforate vagina complicated by hematocolpos and hematometra: case report.Fertil Steril. 1999; 72: 553-555
- Hysteroscopic management of vaginal septum in a virginal patient with uterus didelphys and obstructed hemivagina.Fertil Steril. 2011; 96: e16-e18
- Prepubertal presentation of Herlyn-Werner-Wunderlich syndrome: a case report.J Pediatr Surg. 2011; 46: 1277-1280
- Vaginoscopic resection of vaginal septum.Surg Technol Int. 2012; 22: 173-176
- Hysteroscopic management of an oblique vaginal septum in a virgin girl with a rare variant of Herlyn-Werner-Wunderlich syndrome.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2015; 22: 7
Published online: June 14, 2022
Accepted: June 12, 2022
Received in revised form: May 4, 2022
Received: November 18, 2021
© 2022 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.