- •Diastasis recti abdominis (DRA) is the separation of the rectus abdominis muscles in the midline at the linea alba.
- •It frequently occurs in women during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy and may persist to afflict in the postpartum period.
- •Increased inter-recti distance of women with DRA causes impaired postural stability in both static and dynamic conditions.
- •Alteration of inter-recti distance do not affect pelvic floor muscle functions and respiratory muscle strength in women with DRA.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Management of diastasis of the rectus abdominis muscles: recommendations for Swedish National Guidelines.Scand J Surg. 2020; (1457496920961000)
- Establishing expert-based recommendations for the conservative management of pregnancy-related diastasis rectus abdominis: a Delphi consensus study.J Womens Health Phys Therap. 2019; 43: 73-81
- Postpartum characteristics of rectus abdominis on ultrasound imaging.Man Ther. 2008; 13: 112-121
- Normal width of the inter-recti distance in pregnant and postpartum primiparous women.Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2018; 35: 34-37
- Diastasis recti abdominis during pregnancy and 12 months after childbirth: prevalence, risk factors and report of lumbopelvic pain.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 1092-1096
- Prevalence and risk factors for diastasis recti abdominis: a review and proposal of a new anatomical variation.Hernia. 2021; 25: 883-890
- Prevalence and risk factors of diastasis recti abdominis from late pregnancy to 6 months postpartum, and relationship with lumbo-pelvic pain.Man Ther. 2015; 20: 200-205
- Risk factors for diastasis of the recti abdominis.Journal-Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Womens Health. 2005; 97: 49
- Relationship between diastasis of the rectus abdominis muscle (DRAM) and musculoskeletal dysfunctions, pain and quality of life: a systematic review.Physiotherapy. 2019; 105: 24-34
- Diastasis of the rectus abdominis muscles in postpartum: concordance of patient and clinician evaluations, prevalence, associated pelvic floor symptoms and quality of life.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2020; 252: 228-232
- Relationship between interrectus distance and symptom severity in women with diastasis recti abdominis in the early postpartum period.Phys Ther. 2018; 98: 182-190
Chiarello CM, Zellers JA, Sage-King FM. Predictors of Inter-recti Distance in Cadavers. 2012;36(3):125-30.
- Correlations of the rectus abdominis muscle anatomy with anthropometric measurements.Surg Radiol Anat. 2021; 43: 589-593
- The stabilizing system of the spine. Part I. Function, dysfunction, adaptation, and enhancement.J Spinal Disord. 1992;5:383-.;
- Does diastasis recti abdominis weaken pelvic floor function? A cross-sectional study.Int Urogynecol J. 2020; 31: 277-283
- Diastasis recti and umbilical hernia causes, recognition and repair.S D J Med. 1990; 43: 5-8
- The relationships between inter-recti distance measured by ultrasound imaging and abdominal muscle function in postpartum women: a 6-month follow-up study.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011; 41: 435-443
- Validity and reliability of the Turkish version of the Pelvic Floor Distress Inventory-20.Int Urogynecol J. 2012; 23: 1123-1127
- Short forms of two condition-specific quality-of-life questionnaires for women with pelvic floor disorders (PFDI-20 and PFIQ-7).Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 193: 103-113
American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory S. ATS/ERS Statement on respiratory muscle testing. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166(4):518-624.
- Instrumented test of sensory integration for balance: a validation study.J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2018; 41: 77-84
Field A. Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS statistics: sage; 2013.
- The relationship between diastasis rectus abdominus, pelvic floor trauma and function in primiparous women postpartum.Int Urogynecol J. 2021;
- Comparison of trunk muscle function between women with and without diastasis recti abdominis at 1 year postpartum.Phys Ther. 2018; 98: 891-901
- Women with diastasis recti abdominis might have weaker abdominal muscles and more abdominal pain, but no higher prevalence of pelvic floor disorders, low back and pelvic girdle pain than women without diastasis recti abdominis.Physiotherapy. 2021; 111: 57-65
- Diastasis recti abdominis after childbirth: Is it a predictor of stress urinary incontinence? J Gynecol Obstet.Hum Reprod. 2019; (101657)
- Self-reported symptoms in women with diastasis rectus abdominis: a systematic review.J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod. 2020; 50101995
- The relationship of severity in diastasis recti abdominis and pelvic floor dysfunction: a retrospective cohort study.BMC Womens Health. 2021; 21: 68
- Pelvic floor muscle function, pelvic floor dysfunction and diastasis recti abdominis: prospective cohort study.Neurourol Urodyn. 2017; 36: 716-721
- Diastasis recti abdominis and pelvic floor dysfunction in peri- and postmenopausal women: a cross-sectional study.Physiother Theory Pract. 2020; : 1-7
- The effects of a 6 week dynamic core stability plank exercise program compared to a traditional supine core stability strengthening program on diastasis recti abdominis closure, pain, oswestry disability index (ODI) and pelvic floor disability index scores (PFDI).J Phys Ther Rehabil. 2016; 3: 3
- Physiology in Medicine: physiological basis of diaphragmatic dysfunction with abdominal hernias-implications for therapy.J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015; 118: 142-147
- Reliability and validity of the mCTSIB dynamic platform test to assess balance in a population of older women living in the community.J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2020; 20: 185-193
- Postural activity of the abdominal muscles varies between regions of these muscles and between body positions.Gait Posture. 2005; 22: 295-301
- Intra-abdominal pressure correlates with abdominal wall tension during clinical evaluation tests.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2021; 88105426
- Using the systems framework for postural control to analyze the components of balance evaluated in standardized balance measures: a scoping review.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 122-32 e29