Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Folic acid fortification above mandated levels results in a low prevalence of folate inadequacy among Canadians.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 818-825
- Safety of folic acid.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017; 1414: 59-71
- Neural-tube defects.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1509-1519
- Preventing neural tube defects in Europe: a missed opportunity.Reprod Toxicol. 2005; 20: 393-402
Khoshnood B, Loane M, Walle H, Arriola L, Addor M, Barisic I et al. Long term trends in prevalence of neural tube defects in Europe: population based study. BMJ. 2015;:h5949.
- Prevention of neural tube defects in Europe: a public health failure.Front Pediatrics. 2021; 9
- Pregnancy termination following prenatal diagnosis of anencephaly or spina bifida: a systematic review of the literature.Birth Defects Res A. 2012; 94: 857-863
- Adult consequences of spina bifida: a cohort study.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011; 469: 1246-1252
- Folate levels and neural tube defects: implications for prevention.JAMA. 1995; 274: 1698-1702
- Prevention of neural tube defects: results of the Medical Research Council Vitamin Study.The Lancet. 1991; 338: 131-137
- A review of European guidelines on periconceptional folic acid supplementation.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016; 70: 143-154
- Country-specific estimates of unintended pregnancy and abortion incidence: a global comparative analysis of levels in 2015–2019.BMJ Global Health. 2022; 7: e007151
- Reduction in neural-tube defects after folic acid fortification in Canada.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 135-142
- Prevalence of spina bifida and anencephaly during the transition to mandatory folic acid fortification in the United States.Teratology. 2002; 66: 33-39
- Wheat flour fortification with folic acid: Changes in neural tube defects rates in Chile.Am J Med Genetics Part A. 2012; 158A: 1885-1890
- UK introduces folic acid fortification of flour to prevent neural tube defects.The Lancet. 2021; 398: 1199-1201
- Prevention of neural tube defects in the UK: a missed opportunity.Arch Dis Child. 2016; 101: 604-607
- Public health failure in the prevention of neural tube defects: time to abandon the tolerable upper intake level of folate.Public Health Rev. 2018; 39
SACN: Update on folic acid. Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition; 2017.
- Impact of continuing folic acid after the first trimester of pregnancy: findings of a randomized trial of Folic Acid Supplementation in the Second and Third Trimesters.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 92-98
- Effect of continued folic acid supplementation beyond the first trimester of pregnancy on cognitive performance in the child: a follow-up study from a randomized controlled trial (FASSTT Offspring Trial).BMC Med. 2019; 17
- Near-elimination of folate-deficiency anemia by mandatory folic acid fortification in older US adults: reasons for geographic and racial differences in stroke study 2003–2007.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 1042-1047
Rodrigues V, Silva E, Santos M. Cost-effectiveness of mandatory folic acid fortification of flours in prevention of neural tube defects: a systematic review. PLOS ONE.