Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Committee on Practice Bulletins-Obstetrics. Practice Bulletin No. 183: Postpartum Hemorrhage. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;130(4):e168-e186. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000002351.
- Global causes of maternal death: A WHO systematic analysis.Lancet Glob Health. 2014; 2: e323-e333
Pregnancy Mortality Surveillance System | Maternal and Infant Health | CDC. Published April 13, 2022. Accessed May 18, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternal-mortality/pregnancy-mortality-surveillance-system.htm.
- Severe maternal morbidity during delivery hospitalisation in a large international administrative database, 2008–2013: A retrospective cohort.BJOG Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2019; 126: 1223-1230
- Development and validation of a prediction model for postpartum hemorrhage at a single safety net tertiary care center.Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2021; 3100404https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajogmf.2021.100404
- CMQCC Obstetric Hemorrhage Hospital Level Implementation Guide.Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, The California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative (CMQCC)2010
- Clinical validation of risk stratification criteria for peripartum hemorrhage.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 120-126https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3182941c78
Association of Women’s Health Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses. Postpartum Hemorrhage Project: A Multi-Hospital Quality Improvement Program.https://www.awhonn.org/postpartum-hemorrhage-pph/. Accessed May 11, 2022.
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Maternal safety bundle for obstetric hemorrhage. Available at: https://www.acog.org/-/media/project/acog/acogorg/files/forms/districts/smi-ob-hemorrhage-bundle-slides.pdf. Accessed May 11, 2022.
- Obstetric hemorrhage risk assessment tool predicts composite maternal morbidity.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 14709https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-93413-3
- Prevalence and risk factors of severe obstetric haemorrhage.BJOG Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008; 115: 1265-1272https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2008.01859.x
- Postpartum hemorrhage: Epidemiology, risk factors, and causes.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 53: 147-156https://doi.org/10.1097/GRF.0b013e3181cc406d
- Factors associated with postpartum hemorrhage with vaginal birth.Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 77: 69-76
- Obstetric risk factors and outcome of pregnancies complicated with early postpartum hemorrhage: A population-based study.J Matern-Fetal Neonatal Med Off J Eur Assoc Perinat Med Fed Asia Ocean Perinat Soc Int Soc Perinat Obstet. 2005; 18: 149-154https://doi.org/10.1080/14767050500170088
- Risk factors for postpartum hemorrhage in vaginal deliveries in a Latin-American population.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 113: 1313-1319https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181a66b05
- Revisit of risk factors for major obstetric hemorrhage: Insights from a large medical center.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2015; 292: 819-828
- Incidence, risk factors, and temporal trends in severe postpartum hemorrhage.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 209
- Postpartum hemorrhage resulting from uterine atony after vaginal delivery: Factors associated with severity.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 21-31
- Risk factors for uterine atony/postpartum hemorrhage requiring treatment after vaginal delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 209https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2013.03.011
- Prediction of postpartum hemorrhage in women with gestational hypertension or mild preeclampsia at term.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2014; 93: 399-407
- Evaluation of risk-assessment tools for severe postpartum hemorrhage in women undergoing cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: 1308-1316https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000003574
- Development and validation of a predictive model for severe postpartum hemorrhage in women undergoing vaginal delivery: A retrospective cohort study.Int J Gynaecol Obstet Off Organ Int Fed Gynaecol Obstet. 2022; 157: 353-358https://doi.org/10.1002/ijgo.13797
- Development and validation of a predictive model for excessive postpartum blood loss: A retrospective, cohort study.Int J Nurs Stud. 2018; 79: 114-121https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2017.11.009
- Improving the accuracy of estimated blood loss at obstetric haemorrhage using clinical reconstructions.BJOG Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006; 113: 919-924https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2006.01018.x
- A comparison between visual estimation and laboratory determination of blood loss during the third stage of labour.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1996; 36: 152-154https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1479-828x.1996.tb03273.x
- Predicting risk of postpartum haemorrhage: A systematic review.BJOG Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2021; 128: 46-53https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.16379
- Improvements and limitations in developing multivariate models of hemorrhage and transfusion risk for the obstetric population.Transfusion (Paris). 2021; 61: 423-434https://doi.org/10.1111/trf.16216
- Machine learning and statistical models to predict postpartum hemorrhage.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: 935-944
- Iron deficiency anaemia and atonic postpartum haemorrhage following labour.Reprod Sci. 2022; 29: 1102-1110
- Prenatal anemia and postpartum hemorrhage risk: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2021; 47: 2565-2576https://doi.org/10.1111/jog.14834
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ Committee on Practice Bulletins—Obstetrics. Anemia in Pregnancy: ACOG Practice Bulletin, Number 233. Obstet Gynecol. 2021;138(2):e55-e64. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000004477.
- Treatment of iron deficiency anemia in pregnancy with intravenous versus oral iron: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Perinatol. 2019; 36: 366-376https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1668555
- Does simulation improve clinical performance in management of postpartum hemorrhage?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 225
- 590: preparing for clinical emergencies in obstetrics and gynecology.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 722-725https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000444442.04111.c6
- Development of an obstetric hemorrhage response intervention: The postpartum hemorrhage cart and medication kit.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2022; 48: 120-128https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcjq.2021.09.007
- Active versus expectant management for women in the third stage of labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 2: CD007412https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007412.pub5
- Duration of the third stage of labor and risk of postpartum hemorrhage.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 951-956https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000001399
- The length of the third stage of labor and the risk of postpartum hemorrhage.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 290-293https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000151993.83276.70
- Uterotonic agents for preventing postpartum haemorrhage: A network meta-analysis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; : (4)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD011689.pub2.www.cochranelibrary.com
- Intramuscular versus intravenous oxytocin to prevent postpartum haemorrhage at vaginal delivery: Randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2018; 362k3546https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k3546
- Intravenous versus intramuscular prophylactic oxytocin for the third stage of labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 11: CD009332https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009332.pub4
- Intramuscular injection, intravenous infusion, and intravenous bolus of oxytocin in the third stage of labor for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage: A three-arm randomized control trial.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019; 19
- Intramuscular versus intravenous prophylactic oxytocin for the third stage of labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 9: CD009332https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009332.pub3
- Does route matter? Impact of route of oxytocin administration on postpartum bleeding: A double-blind, randomized controlled trial.PLoS One. 2019; 14: 1-13https://doi.org/10.7910/DVN/MDZRKU.Funding
- Maternal hemodynamics after oxytocin bolus compared with infusion in the third stage of labor: A randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 294-299https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000148264.20909.bb
- Haemodynamic changes caused by oxytocin during caesarean section under spinal anaesthesia.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2002; 11: 156-159https://doi.org/10.1054/ijoa.2002.0970
- Haemodynamic effects of oxytocin given as i.v. bolus or infusion on women undergoing Caesarean section.Br J Anaesth. 2007; 98: 116-119https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/ael302
- Umbilical vein injection for the routine management of third stage of labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; : (3)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006176.pub2
- Prophylactic oxytocin for the third stage of labour to prevent postpartum haemorrhage.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 2019https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001808.pub3
- Higher-dose oxytocin and hemorrhage after vaginal delivery: A randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 293-300
- Timing of prophylactic uterotonics for the third stage of labour after vaginal birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 8: CD006173https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006173.pub2
- A randomized controlled trial comparing oxytocin administration before and after placental delivery in the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 185: 873-877https://doi.org/10.1067/mob.2001.117363
- A randomized trial of active versus expectant management of the third stage of labor.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: S107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2006.10.358
- Intramuscular oxytocin administration before vs. after placental delivery for the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage: A randomized controlled prospective trial.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2018; 224: 47-51https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2018.03.012
- Prospective randomized trial of oxytocin administration for active management of the third stage of labor.Int J Gynaecol Obstet Off Organ Int Fed Gynaecol Obstet. 2014; 127: 175-179https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2014.05.022
- Prophylactic use of tranexamic acid after vaginal delivery reduces the risk of primary postpartum hemorrhage.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2020; 33: 3368-3376
- Tranexamic acid for preventing postpartum haemorrhage.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; : (6)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007872.pub3
- Can intravenous injection of tranexamic acid be used in routine practice with active management of the third stage of labor in vaginal delivery? A randomized controlled study.Am J Perinatol. 2013; 30: 407-413https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0032-1326986
- Effect of early tranexamic acid administration on mortality, hysterectomy, and other morbidities in women with post-partum haemorrhage (WOMAN): an international, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Lond Engl. 2017; 389: 2105-2116
- Tranexamic acid for the prevention of blood loss after vaginal delivery.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 731-742
- Association of intravenous tranexamic acid with thromboembolic events and mortality: A systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression.JAMA Surg. 2021; 156: e210884
- A randomized trial of sublingual misoprostol to augment routine third-stage management among women at risk of postpartum hemorrhage.Int J Gynaecol Obstet Off Organ Int Fed Gynaecol Obstet. 2016; 132: 191-195https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2015.06.064
- Randomised controlled trial of sublingual and rectal misoprostol in the prevention of primary postpartum haemorrhage in a resource-limited community.J Obstet Gynecol India. 2020; 70: 462-470https://doi.org/10.1007/s13224-020-01338-0
- Randomized controlled trial comparing 200 μg and 400 μg sublingual misoprostol for prevention of primary postpartum hemorrhage.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2016; 133: 173-177https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2015.09.026
- Uterotonic agents for first-line treatment of postpartum haemorrhage: A network meta-analysis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 2020: 11https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD012754.pub2
- Risk of fever after misoprostol for the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage: A meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1140-1148https://doi.org/10.1097/aog.0b013e3182707341
- The effect of misoprostol on postpartum contractions: A randomised comparison of three sublingual doses.BJOG Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011; 118: 466-473https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2010.02821.x
- Improving health care response to obstetric hemorrhage, a california maternal quality care collaborative toolkit.Published online. 2022;
- Prevention and management of postpartum hemorrhage: A comparison of 4 national guidelines.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213
G.J. Hofmeyr N.T. Mshweshwe A.M. Gülmezoglu Controlled cord traction for the third stage of labour Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;1(1):CD008020. 10.1002/14651858.CD008020.pub2.
- Active management of the third stage of labor with and without controlled cord traction: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2014; 93: 626-633https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.12424
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ Committee on Obstetric Practice. Delayed Umbilical Cord Clamping After Birth: ACOG Committee Opinion, Number 814. Obstet Gynecol. 2020;136(6):e100-e106. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000004167.
S.J. McDonald P. Middleton T. Dowswell P.S. Morris Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping of term infants on maternal and neonatal outcomes Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(7):CD004074. 10.1002/14651858.CD004074.pub3.
- Effect of delayed cord clamping on neurodevelopment at 4 years of age: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 631-638https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.0358
- Efficacy and safety of umbilical cord milking at birth: A systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 18-25https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.1906
- Umbilical cord milking versus delayed cord clamping in term and late-preterm infants: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2022; 35: 5478-5488
- Umbilical cord milking versus delayed cord clamping in term infants: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Perinatol. 2021; 41: 1549-1557
Effects of cord milking in late preterm infants and full‐term infants: A systematic review and meta‐analysis. Accessed October 27, 2021. https://onlinelibrary-wiley-com.proxy1.library.jhu.edu/doi/epdf/10.1111/birt.12500.
- Association of umbilical cord milking vs delayed umbilical cord clamping with death or severe intraventricular hemorrhage among preterm infants.JAMA. 2019; 322: 1877
- Effect of umbilical cord milking in term and near term infants: Randomized control trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208
- Uterine massage as part of active management of the third stage of labour for preventing postpartum haemorrhage during vaginal delivery: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials.BJOG. 2018; 125: 778-781https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.14923
G.J. Hofmeyr H. Abdel-Aleem M.A. Abdel-Aleem Uterine massage for preventing postpartum haemorrhage Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(7):CD006431. 10.1002/14651858.CD006431.pub3.
- Management of the third stage of labor with nipple stimulation.J Reprod Med. 1986; 31: 1033-1034
- Comparison of the effect of breast pump stimulation and oxytocin administration on the length of the third stage of labor, postpartum hemorrhage, and anemia: A randomized controlled trial.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018; 18: 293https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-018-1832-z
- Use of recombinant activated factor VII in primary postpartum hemorrhage: The Northern European registry 2000–2004.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 110: 1270-1278
- Recombinant activated factor VII (rFVIIa/NovoSeven®) in the management of severe postpartum haemorrhage: Initial report of a multicentre case series in Japan.Int J Hematol. 2012; 95: 57-63https://doi.org/10.1007/s12185-011-0974-9
- Safety of recombinant activated factor VII in randomized clinical trials.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1791-1800https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1006221