- •Research prioritisation helps to focus research resource towards population needs.
- •There is a broad spectrum of research priorities in maternal and perinatal health.
- •Most identified priorities relate to healthcare services, pregnancy and newborn health.
- •Most of research priorities were of global relevance.
- •Unexpectedly maternal mental health research priorities were infrequently identified.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Systematic analysis of research underfunding in maternal and perinatal health.BJOG. 2009; 116: 347-356https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2008.02027.x
- Maternal and perinatal health research priorities beyond 2015: an international survey and prioritization exercise.Reprod Health. 2014; 11https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-4755-11-61
- Asking different questions: a call to action for research to improve the quality of care for every woman, every child.Women Birth. 2018; 31: 242-243
- The mismatch between the health research and development (R&D) that is needed and the R&D that is undertaken: an overview of the problem, the causes, and solutions.Glob Health Action. 2013; 6: 22450https://doi.org/10.3402/gha.v6i0.22450
Council on Health Research for Development. Essential national health research and priority setting: lessons learned [Internet]. Le Grand-Saconnex, Switzerland: Council on Health Research for Development; 1997 [cited 2021 May 27]. Available from: http://www.cohred.org/downloads/586.pdf.
- Health research priority setting in selected high income countries: a narrative review of methods used and recommendations for future practice.Cost Eff Resour Alloc. 2014; 12: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-7547-12-23
- The 3D combined approach matrix: an improved tool for setting priorities in research for health [Internet].Global Forum for Health Research, Geneva, Switzerland2009 [cited 2021 May 27]. (Available from:)
- Scoping review of priority setting of research topics for musculoskeletal conditions.BMJ Open. 2018; 8https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-023962
- Setting health research priorities using the CHNRI method: I Involving funders.J Glob Health. 2016; 6: 1-6https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.06.010301
- Approaches, tools and methods used for setting priorities in health research in the 21(st) century.J Glob Health. 2016; 6: 1-10https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.06.010507
- Reporting guideline for priority setting of health research (REPRISE).BMC Med Res Methodol. 2019; 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-019-0889-3
National Institute for Health R. The James Lind Alliance Guidebook version 10 [Internet]. Southampton, UK: The James Lind Alliance; 2021 [cited 2021 May 27]. Available from: https://www.jla.nihr.ac.uk/jla-guidebook/.
- A checklist for health research priority setting: nine common themes of good practice.Health Res Policy Syst. 2010; 8: 36https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-4505-8-36
- Priority setting: what constitutes success? A conceptual framework for successful priority setting.BMC Health Serv Res. 2009; 9: 43https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-9-43
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.PLoS Med. 2009; 6https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000100
- Top 10 priorities for future infertility research: an international consensus development study.Hum Reprod. 2020; 35: 2715-2724
- PRESS peer review of electronic search strategies: 2015 guideline statement.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 75: 40-46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2016.01.021
- What research questions should the next generation of birth cohort studies address? An international Delphi study of experts.Acad Pediatr. 2021; 21: 43-52
- Global research priorities for social, behavioural and community engagement interventions for maternal, newborn and child health.Health Res Policy Syst. 2020; 18https://doi.org/10.1186/s12961-020-00597-7
- A survey study identified global research priorities for decreasing maternal mortality.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 314-324
- Global perspectives on immunization during pregnancy and priorities for future research and development: an international consensus statement.Front Immunol. 2020; 11https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2020.01282
- Research prioritization of interventions for the primary prevention of preterm birth: an international survey.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol X. 2019; 236: 240-248
- Setting research priorities to reduce global mortality from preterm birth and low birth weight by 2015.J Glob Health. 2012; 2010403https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.02-010403
- Setting research priorities for preconception care in low- and middle-income countries: aiming to reduce maternal and child mortality and morbidity.PLoS Med. 2013; 10https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001508
- Global research priorities to accelerate early child development in the sustainable development era.Lancet Glob Health. 2016; 4: e887-e889
- Setting research priorities on multiple micronutrient supplementation in pregnancy.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2020; 1465: 76-88
- Setting research priorities for adolescent sexual and reproductive health in low- and middle-income countries.Bull World Health Organ. 2013; 91: 10-18https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.12.107565
- Using nominal group technique to elucidate a COVID-19 research agenda for maternal and child health (MCH) populations.Int J MCH AIDS. 2020; 9: 394-396https://doi.org/10.21106/ijma.410
James Lind Alliance. Hyperemesis gravidarum PSP protocol [Internet]. Southampton, United Kingdom: James Lind Alliance; 2018 [cited 2021 May 27]. Available from: https://www.jla.nihr.ac.uk/priority-setting-partnerships/hyperemesis-gravidarum/Downloads/Hyperemesis-Gravidarum-PSP-Protocol.pdf.
- Research priorities for the future health of multiples and their families: The Global Twins and Multiples Priority Setting Partnership.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 54: 715-721
- Setting research priorities to reduce almost one million deaths from birth asphyxia by 2015.PLoS Med. 2011; 8https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000389
- Setting operational research priorities for reproductive health in crisis settings: using the Child Health and Nutrition Research Initiative methodology.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012; 119: 429https://doi.org/10.1016/s0020-7292(12)60904-7
- A global research agenda for pediatric HIV.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018; 78: S10-S15
- Setting an implementation research agenda for Canadian investments in global maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health: a research prioritization exercise.CMAJ Open. 2017; 5: E82-E89https://doi.org/10.9778/cmajo.20160088
- Exploring research priorities of parents who have children with down syndrome, cleft lip with or without cleft palate, congenital heart defects, or spina bifida using ConnectEpeople: a social media coproduction research study.J Med Internet Res. 2019; 21https://doi.org/10.2196/15847
- Global midwifery research priorities: an international survey.Int J Childbirth. 2016; 6: 5-18https://doi.org/10.1891/2156-52126.96.36.199
- Research priorities and potential methodologies to inform care in subsequent pregnancies following stillbirth: a web-based survey of healthcare professionals, researchers and advocates.BMJ Open. 2019; 9: e028735
- Newborn health research priorities beyond 2015.Lancet. 2014; 384: e27-e29
- Priorities for collaborative research using very preterm birth cohorts.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2020; 105: 538-544
- Research gaps and emerging priorities in sexual and reproductive health in Africa and the Eastern Mediterranean regions.Reprod Health. 2018; 15: 39https://doi.org/10.1186/s12978-018-0484-9
- Research priorities for specialized nursing practice in the United Arab Emirates.Int Nurs Rev. 2018; 65: 381-391https://doi.org/10.1111/inr.12402
- Identifying priorities to address stillbirth in Australia and New Zealand.J Paediatr Child Health. 2016; 52: 18https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.13194
- Setting implementation research priorities to reduce preterm births and stillbirths at the community level.PLoS Med. 2011; 8https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000380
- Research priorities in sudden unexpected infant death: an international consensus.Pediatrics. 2017; 140: e20163514
- Prioritization of therapy uncertainties in congenital ichthyosis: results from a priority setting partnership.Br J Dermatol. 2015; 173: 1280-1283
- Top research priorities for preterm birth: results of a prioritisation partnership between people affected by preterm birth and healthcare professionals.BMC Pregn Childbirth. 2019; 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-019-2654-3
- Prioritizing the PMTCT implementation research agenda in 3 African countries: INtegrating and Scaling up PMTCT through Implementation REsearch (INSPIRE).J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014; 67: S108-S113
- Clinical nursing and midwifery research priorities in Eastern and Southern African countries: results from a Delphi survey.Nurs Res. 2015; 64: 466-475https://doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0000000000000126
- Delphi survey of clinical nursing and midwifery research priorities in the Eastern Mediterranean region.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2017; 49: 223-235
- Research priorities of PICU and NICU nurses across Europe: a delphi study.Intensive Care Med. 2013; 39: 194-195https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-013-2950-8
The Australian Health Research Alliance. Women’s health: research and translation activities needed [Internet]. InSight+: Australasian Medical Publishing Company; 2019 [cited 2021 May 27]. Available from: https://insightplus.mja.com.au/2019/21/womens-health-research-and-translation-activities-needed/.
- Setting research priorities for maternal, newborn, child health and nutrition in India by engaging experts from 256 indigenous institutions contributing over 4000 research ideas: a CHNRI exercise by ICMR and INCLEN.J Glob Health Rep. 2017; 7011003https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.07.011003
- Priority topics for research by midwives: an analysis of focus groups with pregnant women, mothers and midwives. GMS Journal of Midwifery.Science. 2017; 4https://doi.org/10.3205/zhwi000010
- Research priorities in pediatric palliative care.J Pediatr X. 2015; 167: 467-470.e3
- High priority research needs for gestational diabetes mellitus.J Womens Health. 2012; 21: 925-932https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2011.3270
- Identifying research priorities for midwifery in Ireland.Midwifery. 2009; 25: 576-587https://doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2007.08.004
- Mother knows best: developing a consumer led, evidence informed, research agenda for maternity care.Midwifery. 2013; 29: 705-712https://doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2012.06.015
Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth. Stakeholder prioritisation process – 2012 [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2020 Mar 13]. Available from: https://pregnancy.cochrane.org/sites/pregnancy.cochrane.org/files/public/uploads/PCG%20Stakeholder%202012_0.pdf.
- Research priorities for stillbirth: process overview and results from UK Stillbirth Priority Setting Partnership.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 46: 641-647
- Priority setting for the cochrane pregnancy and childbirth group review updates: a delphi process.Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2020; 2100205https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajogmf.2020.100205
- Building a national direction for research in the prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV: results from a national prioritization initiative in Malawi.Health Res Policy Syst. 2013; 11: 40https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-4505-11-40
Lewis RM, McKoy JN, Andrews JC, Jerome RN, Likis FE, Surawicz TS, et al. Future research needs for strategies to reduce cesarean birth in low-risk women: identification of future research needs from comparative effectiveness review no. 80 [Internet]. Rockville, US: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2012 [cited 2021 May 27]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK116665/pdf/Bookshelf_NBK116665.pdf.
- Human milk banking – a partnership between parents and clinicians to identify and prioritize the 10 top research priorities.J Paediatr Child Health. 2017; 53: 63https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.13494_183
- Reaching a consensus on research priorities for supporting women with autoimmune rheumatic diseases during pre-conception, pregnancy and early parenting: a nominal group technique exercise with lay and professional stakeholders.Wellcome Open Res. 2018; 3: 75
- Bringing nursing research to the fore in neonatal clinical care in Western Australia – results from a Delphi study.J Paediatr Child Health. 2014; 50: 67https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.12528_3
- Research priorities of women at risk for preterm birth: findings and a call to action.BMC Pregn Childbirth. 2020; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-019-2664-1
- Engaging patients and clinicians in establishing research priorities for gestational diabetes mellitus.Can J Diabetes. 2017; 41: 156-163
- Research priorities for nursing care of infants, children and adolescents: a West Australian Delphi study.J Clin Nurs. 2010; 19: 1919-1928https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03025.x
- Research priorities of midwives: a Delphi study.Pract Midwife. 2013; 16: 26-28
- North carolina research collaborative on mode of delivery. A conceptual framework for future research on mode of delivery.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 1447-1454https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-011-0910-x
- Prioritisation of future research topics in paediatric palliative care in Ireland: a Delphi study.Int J Palliat Nurs. 2017; 23: 88-97https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2017.23.2.88
- Prioritizing a research agenda: a Delphi study of the better outcomes through research for newborns (BORN) network.Hosp Pediatr. 2014; 4: 195-202
- Using research priority-setting to guide bridging the implementation gap in countries – a case study of the Uganda newborn research priorities in the SDG era.Health Res Policy Syst. 2019; 17https://doi.org/10.1186/s12961-019-0459-5
- European neonatal intensive care nursing research priorities: an e-Delphi study.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2015; 100: F66-F71https://doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2014-306858
- A Delphi survey to determine midwifery research priorities among midwives in sub-Saharan Africa.Afr J Midwifery Womens Health. 2015; 9: 6-11
- Research priorities to reduce global mortality from newborn infections by 2015.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2009; 28: S43-S48
- The miscarriage priority setting partnership: a collaboration of women and those affected by miscarriage working with professionals to identify and prioritise research questions.BJOG. 2017; 124: e272
- Research priorities for pregnancy hypertension: a UK priority setting partnership with the James Lind Alliance.BMJ Open. 2020; 10https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-036347
- A novel method for involving women of color at high risk for preterm birth in research priority setting.J Visual Exp JoVE. 2018; 131https://doi.org/10.3791/56220
World Health Organization. Maternal mental health [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; [cited 2021 May 27]. Available from: https://www.who.int/mental_health/maternal-child/maternal_mental_health/en/.
- Setting health research priorities using the CHNRI method: III. Involving stakeholders.J Glob Health. 2016; 6https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.06.010303
- Research priority setting in women’s health: a systematic review.BJOG. 2020; 127: 694-700https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.16150