- •Specimen retrieval is a challenging step of laparoscopic subtotal hysterectomy (LSH).
- •Unsuspected malignancy could be spread intrabdominally at the time of morcellation.
- •Morcellation inside a purpose-built bag (contained) preserves oncological safety.
- •Specimen extraction through the posterior vaginal fornix is a reliable procedure.
- •Transvaginal contained uterus morcellation and extraction is feasible and safe in LSH.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Laparoscopic subtotal hysterectomy: evidence and techniques.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2013; 20: 424-434
- Past, present, and future of hysterectomy.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2010; 17: 421-435
- Laparoscopic supracervical (subtotal) hysterectomy: A first series of 500 cases.Gynaecol Endosc. 1997; 6: 73-76
- A series of 3190 laparoscopic hysterectomies for benign disease from 1990 to 2006: Evaluation of complications compared with vaginal and abdominal procedures.BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009; 116: 492-500
- Laparoscopic morcellator-related complications.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014; 21: 486-491
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2014) Laparoscopic Uterine Power Morcellation in Hysterectomy and Myomectomy: FDA Safety Communication. Available at: wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20170406071822/https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/ucm393576.htm. April 17, 2014; Accessed 15 May 2022.
- Practice patterns and complications of benign hysterectomy following the FDA statement warning against the use of power morcellation.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: e180141
- Practice patterns and postoperative complications before and after US Food and Drug Administration safety communication on power morcellation.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 98.e1-98.e13
- In-bag morcellation.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014; 21: 951-953
- Contained power morcellation within an insufflated isolation bag.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 491-497
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2020) UPDATE : The FDA recommends performing contained morcellation in women when laparoscopic power morcellation is appropriate. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/update-fda-recommends-performing-contained-morcellation-women-when-laparoscopic-power-morcellation. February 25, 2020; Accessed 16 May 2022.
- Transvaginal contained tissue extraction after laparoscopic myomectomy: a cohort study.BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2018; 125: 367-373
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 205-213
- Cell spillage after contained electromechanical morcellation using a specially designed in-bag system for laparoscopic myomectomy: prospective cohort pilot study.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2019; 26: 1351-1356
- Vaginal morcellation: A new strategy for large gynecological malignant tumor extraction: A pilot study.Gynecol Oncol. 2012; 126: 443-447
- A safe method of vaginal longitudinal morcellation of bulky uterus with endometrial cancer in a bag at laparoscopy.Surg Endosc. 2014; 28: 1949-1953
- Morcellation during uterine tissue extraction: an update.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2018; 25: 543-550
- Risk of leakage and tissue dissemination with various contained tissue extraction (CTE) techniques: an invitro pilot study.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014; 21: 935-939
Lethaby A, Mukhopadhyay A, Naik R (2012) Total versus subtotal hysterectomy for benign gynaecological conditions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD004993.
- Safety of culdotomy as a surgical approach: Implications for natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery.J Soc Laparoendosc Surg. 2012; 16: 413-420
- Safety of transvaginal hybrid NOTES cholecystectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Surg Endosc. 2015; 29: 2077-2090
- A critical review of laparoscopic total hysterectomy versus laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy.Gynecol Surg. 2011; 8: 7-12