- •Preeclampsia is the leading cause of premature delivery worldwide.
- •Pravastatin given in the second trimester may increase the duration of early severe preeclampsia.
- •Our data suggest a role of pravastatin in stabilizing the progression of preeclampsia.
- •No differences in infant follow-up are observed between treated and not-treated pregnancies.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Global and regional estimates of preeclampsia and eclampsia: a systematic review.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2013; 170: 1-7
- Rheological and physiological consequences of conversion of the maternal spiral arteries for uteroplacental blood flow during human pregnancy.Placenta. 2009; 30: 473-482
Duley L, Meher S, Hunter KE, Seidler AL, Askie LM. Antiplatelet agents for preventing preeclampsia and its complications. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2019;2019:CD004659.
- Comparative effectiveness and safety of statins as a class and of specific statins for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a systematic review, meta-analysis, and network meta-analysis of randomized trials with 94,283 participants.Am Heart J. 2019; 210: 18-28
Brownfoot FC, Tong S, Hannan NJ, et al. Effects of pravastatin on human placenta, endothelium, and women with severe preeclampsia. Hypertension 2015;66:687–97. discussion 445.
- Pravastatin as the statin of choice for reducing pre-eclampsia-associated endothelial dysfunction.Pregnancy Hypertens. 2020; 20: 83-91
Fox KA, Longo M, Tamayo E, et al. Effects of pravastatin on mediators of vascular function in a mouse model of soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase1-induced preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011;205:366.e1–5.
Bauer AJ, Banek CT, Needham K, et al. Pravastatin attenuates hypertension, oxidative stress, and angiogenic imbalance in rat model of placental ischemia-induced hypertension. Hypertension 2013;61:1103–10.
- Safety and pharmacokinetics of pravastatin used for the prevention of preeclampsia in highrisk pregnant women: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 720.e1-720.e17
- Pravastatin for early-onset pre-eclampsia: a randomised, blinded, placebo-controlled trial.BJOG. 2020; 127: 478-488
- Pravastatin for the prevention of preeclampsia in high-risk pregnant women.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 349-353
- Pravastatin is useful for prevention of recurrent severe placenta-mediated complications - a pilot study.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2021; 21: 1-7
- Evaluating the Effect of Pravastatin in Early-Onset Fetal Growth Restriction: A Nonrandomized and Historically Controlled Pilot Study.Am J Perinatol. 2020 Jul 2;
- Pravastatin therapy during preeclampsia prevents long-term adverse health effects in mice.JCI Insight. 2018; 3: e120147
- Statins reverse postpartum cardiovascular dysfunction in a rat model of preeclampsia.Hypertension. 2020; 75: 202-210
- Pre-eclampsia and risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer in later life: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2007; 335: 974
- Promoting risk identification and reduction of cardiovascular disease in women through collaboration with obstetricians and gynecologists: a presidential advisory from the American Heart Association and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.Circulation. 2018; 137
- Heart disease and stroke statistics–2009 update: a report from the American Heart Association statistics committee and stroke statistics subcommittee.Circulation. 2009; 119: 480-486
- The 2021 international society for the study of hypertesion in pregnancy classification, diagnosis & management recommendations for international practice.Pregnancy Hypertens. 2022; 27: 148-169
- Consensus definition of fetal growth restriction: a Delphi procedure.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 48: 333-339
- Sonographic estimation of fetal weight. The value of femur length in addition to head and abdomen measurements.Radiology. 1984; 150: 535-540
- Normal values of Pulsatility Index from fetal vessels: a cross-sectional study on 1556 healthy fetuses.J Perinat Med. 1990; 18: 165-172
- International fetal and newborn growth consortium for the 21st century (INTERGROWTH-21st). International standards for fetal growth based on serial ultrasound measurements: the Fetal Growth Longitudinal Study of the INTERGROWTH-21st Project.Lancet. 2014; 384: 869-879
ISUOG Practice Guidelines (updated): use of Doppler velocimetry in obstetrics. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2021.
- Development of a new fetal growth curve from a large sample of Italian population.Minerva Pediatr. 2017; 69
- Placenta weight percentile curves for singleton and twins deliveries.Placenta. 2011; 32: 58-62
Khong T.Y., Mooney E.E., Ariel I. et al. Sampling and definitions of placental lesions. Amsterdam placental workshop group consensus statement. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Vol 140. ; 2016:698-713.
- Placental pathology: a systematic approach with clinical correlations.Placenta. 2008; 29: 86-91
- Classification of placental lesions.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: S21-S28
- A synoptic framework and future directions for placental pathology reporting.Placenta. 2018; 2019: 46-57
F. C. Brownfoot , S. Tong, N. J. Hannan, R. Hastie, P. Cannon and Tu’uhevaha J. Kaitu’u-Lino. Effects of simvastatin, rosuvastatin and pravastatin on soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 (sFlt-1) and soluble endoglin (sENG) secretion from human umbilical vein endothelial cells, primary trophoblast cells and placenta. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth (2016) 16:117.
- Pravastatin induces placental growth factor (PGF) and ameliorates preeclampsia in a mouse model.PNAS. 2011; 108: 1451-1455
- Mechanistic and epidemiologic considerations in the evaluation of adverse birth outcomes following gestational exposure to statins.Am J Med Genetics Part A. 2004; 131: 287-298
- Risk of statin use during pregnancy: a systematic review.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2007; 29: 906
- Risk of congenital anomalies in pregnant users of statin drugs.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2007; 64: 496
- Prenatal exposure to HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor: effects on fetal and neonatal outcomes.Repro Tox. 2008; 26: 175
Petersen. Maternal Exposure to Statins and Risk for Birth Defects. Am J Med Gen. 2008; 146A: 2701–2705.
- Statins and pregnancy: between supposed risks and theoretical benefits.Drugs. 2012; 72: 773-788
Devin D. Smith, MD; Maged M. Costantine, MD. The role of statins in the prevention of preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 2020 Aug 17;S0002-9378(20)30868-1.
- Pravastatin improves pregnancy outcomes in obstetric antiphospholipid syndrome refractory to antithrombotic therapy.J Clin Invest. 2016; 126: 2933-2940
- Pravastatin for prevention of HELLP syndrome: a case report.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96: e8229
S. Tong, Tu’uhevaha J. Kaitu’u-Lino, R. Hastie, F. Brownfoot, C. Cluver, N. Hannan. Pravastatin, proton-pump inhibitors, metformin, micronutrients, and biologics: new horizons for the prevention or treatment of preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol , 2020 Sep 16;S0002-9378(20)31071-1.