- •The rate of SMM has increased threefold over 20 years.
- •ICU transfer rates more than double.
- •Peripartum hysterectomy rates remain stable.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- A view from the UK: The UK and Ireland confidential enquiry into maternal deaths and morbidity.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 61: 347-358
- Maternal morbidity and mortality: an iceberg phenomenon.BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2022; 129 (Available from): 402-411
- Severe maternal morbidity among delivery and postpartum hospitalizations in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120 (Available from): 1029-1036
Mantel GD, Buchmann E, Rees H, Pattinson RC. Severe acute maternal morbidity: A pilot study of a definition for a near-miss. BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 1998 [cited 2022 Aug 10];105(9):985–90. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9763050/.
- Scottish Confidential Audit of Severe Maternal Morbidity: reducing avoidable harm.Healthcare Improvement Scotland. 2014; (Available from:)http://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/our_work/reproductive,_maternal_child/programme_resources/scasmm.aspx
- Severe maternal morbidity: screening and review. Obstetric Care Consensus No. 5.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: B17-B22https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2016.07.050
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Severe Maternal Morbidity in the United States | Pregnancy | Reproductive Health |CDC [Internet]. [cited 2022 Aug 10]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/severematernalmorbidity.html#anchor_References.
- WHO systematic review of maternal morbidity and mortality: The prevalence of severe acute maternal morbidity (near miss).Reprod Health. 2004; 1: 9-10
World Health Organization. Evaluating the quality of care for severe pregnancy complications. The WHO near-miss approach for maternal health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2011 [cited 2022 Sep 14]. Available from: www.who.int/reproductivehealthISBN9789241502221.
Knight M, Bunch K, Tuffnell D, Patel R, Shakespeare J, Kotnis R, et al. Saving Lives, Improving Mothers’ Care. Lessons learned to inform maternity care from the UK and Ireland Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths and Morbidity 2017-2019. Maternal, Newborn and Infant Clinical Outcome Review Programme. MBRACE-UK Matern Newborn Infant Clin Outcome Rev Program. 2021 [cited 2022 Aug 15];(Core report):5–18. Available from: www.hqip.org.uk/national-programmes.
- Severe maternal morbidity in Ireland. Annual report 2020.Cork Natl Perinat Epidemiol Cent. 2022; (Available from: www.ucc.ie/en/npec/)
- Confidential Maternal Death Enquiry in Ireland. Report for 2016 - 2018.Cork MDE Irel. 2020;
World Health Organisation. Trends in Maternal Mortality: 2000-2017: Estimates by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, World Bank Group and the United Nations Population Division. 2019 [cited 2022 Sep 16]; Available from: www.who.int/reproductivehealth.
Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital. Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital. Annual Clinical Report 1999-2019. [Internet]. Available from: https://www.coombe.ie/annual-report.
- Maternal near miss: What lies beneath?.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2016; 1: 116-120
Leitao S, Manning E, Corcoran P, San Lazaro Campillo I, Greene R, On behalf of the Severe Maternal Morbidity Group. Severe Maternal Morbidity in Ireland Annual Report 2019. 2021; Available from: https://www.ucc.ie/en/media/research/nationalperinatalepidemiologycentre/NPECSMM2018LaySummaryFinalupdated.pdf.
- Increasing trends in atonic postpartum haemorrhage in Ireland: An 11-year population-based cohort study.BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012; 119 (Available from): 306-314
- Designing and implementing an all Wales postpartum haemorrhage quality improvement project: OBS Cymru (the Obstetric Bleeding Strategy for Wales).BMJ Open Qual. 2020; 9 (Available from:)
- Prophylactic ergometrine-oxytocin versus oxytocin for the third stage of labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; 2004 (Available from: /pmc/articles/PMC6491201/)
- The management of the third stage of labour - A national survey of current practice.Br J Midwifery. 2012; 20 (Available from): 850-857
Health Service Executive. Perinatal Statistics Report, 2019 [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2022 Sep 17]. Available from: www.hpo.ie.
- Maternal obesity trends in a large Irish university hospital.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2019; 238 (Available from): 95-99
Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists. Reducing the Risk of Venous Thromboembolism during Pregnancy and the Puerperium. Green-top Guideline No. 37a. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 2015 [cited 2022 Aug 10];(37):1–35. Available from: https://www.rcog.org.uk/guidance/browse-all-guidance/green-top-guidelines/reducing-the-risk-of-thrombosis-and-embolism-during-pregnancy-and-the-puerperium-green-top-guideline-no-37a/.
Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists - Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, HSE Clinical Care Programme in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Irish Haematology Society. Clinical Practice Guideline: Venous Thromboprophylaxis in Pregnancy. 2016;(20):1–28.
- Risk of severe maternal morbidity associated with in vitro fertilisation: a population-based study.BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2019; 126 (Available from): 1033-1041
- Ethnic variations in severe maternal morbidity in the UK- A case control study.PLoS One. 2014; 9 (Available from:)
- Measuring severe maternal morbidity: validation of potential measures.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (Available from): 643.e1-643.e10