Congenital portosystemic shunts (PSS) are vascular malformations creating abnormal connections between portal and systemic veins. Blood collected from digestive organs is shunted to the systemic circulation, resulting in possible adverse consequence. There are two categories of congenital shunts, extrahepatic (EPSS) and intrahepatic (IPSS). Current data indicates that IPSS has a favorable prognosis [
]. However, previous studies were mainly based on findings of neonatal patients. We present the pregnancy and postnatal outcomes of sixteen fetal cases of IPSS. This knowledge will help assess the possible clinical impact, parental counseling, and perinatal management.
- Papamichail M.
- Pizanias M.
- Heaton N.
Congenital portosystemic venous shunt.
Eur J Pediatr. 2018; 177: 285-294
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Congenital portosystemic venous shunt.Eur J Pediatr. 2018; 177: 285-294
- Fetal intrahepatic Umbilical-Porto-Systemic venous shunts (IHUPSVS): In-utero anatomic classification.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2022; 276: 179-184
- Prenatal diagnosis of congenital portosystemic shunt: A single-center study.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2020; 46: 1988-1993
- Congenital portosystemic shunt: characterization of a multisystem disease.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013; 56: 675-681
- Congenital extrahepatic portosystemic shunt: An unusual feature in cardio-facio-cutaneous syndrome.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2022; 273: 107-108
- Congenital portosystemic shunts in children: recognition, evaluation, and management.Semin Liver Dis. 2012; 32: 273-287
- Prenatally diagnosed congenital portosystemic shunts.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2018; 31: 1364-1368
- Congenital Extrahepatic Portosystemic Shunts (Abernethy Malformation): An International Observational Study.Hepatology. 2020; 71: 658-669
- Status of congenital extrahepatic portosystemic shunt.Chin Med J (Engl). 2022; 135: 1610-1612
- Outcome of intrahepatic portosystemic shunt diagnosed prenatally.Eur J Pediatr. 2017; 176: 1613-1618
- Characterization and natural history of congenital intrahepatic portosystemic shunts.Eur J Pediatr. 2021; 180: 1733-1737
Published online: February 14, 2023
Accepted: February 12, 2023
Received in revised form: February 10, 2023
Received: September 12, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.