- •• Seminal plasma TCS concentration were quantitatively tested using UPLC-MS/MS.
- •• TCS exposure status of 100 low sperm quality men and 100 control men were assessed.
- •• Seminal plasma TCS were significantly associated with risk of low sperm quality.
Results and conclusions
Abbreviations:TCS (triclosan), UPLC-MS/MS (ultrahigh-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometer), WHO (World Health Organization), BMI (body mass index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
- Triclosan: a critical review of the experimental data and development of margins of safety for consumer products.Crit Rev Toxicol. 2010; 40: 422-484
Calafat AM, Ye X, Wong LY, Reidy JA, Needham LL. Urinary concentrations of triclosan in the U.S. population: 2003-2004. Environmental health perspectives. 2008;116:303-7.
- Triclosan in plasma and milk from Swedish nursing mothers and their exposure via personal care products.Sci Total Environ. 2006; 372: 87-93
Espitia PJP, Batista RA, Otoni CG, Soares NFF. Antimicrobial Food Packaging Incorporated with Triclosan. 2016:417-23.
- Revision of analytical strategies to evaluate different migrants from food packaging materials.Trends Food Sci Technol. 2006; 17
- An Immunoaffinity Purification Method for the Simultaneous Analysis of Triclocarban and Triclosan in Foodstuffs by Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry.J Agric Food Chem. 2019; 67: 9088-9095
- The Florence Statement on Triclosan and Triclocarban.Environ Health Perspect. 2017; 125064501
- Pharmacokinetics of triclosan following oral ingestion in humans.J Toxic Environ Health A. 2006; 69: 1861-1873
- Pathophysiology of sperm motility.Front Biosci. 2006; 11: 1433-1447
- Determinants of Infertility in Couples.J Nepal Health Res Counc. 2019; 17: 85-89
- The impact of lifestyle factors on reproductive performance in the general population and those undergoing infertility treatment: a review.Hum Reprod Update. 2007; 13: 209-223
- EDC-2: The Endocrine Society's Second Scientific Statement on Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals.Endocr Rev. 2015; 36: E1-e150
- Oestrogenic and androgenic activity of triclosan in breast cancer cells.J Appl Toxicol. 2008; 28: 78-91
- Urinary triclosan concentrations and semen quality among men from a fertility clinic.Environ Res. 2019; 177108633
- Environmental Exposure to Triclosan and Semen Quality.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016; 13: 224
- Environmental levels of triclosan and male fertility.Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2018; 25: 5484-5490
- Characterization of Sperm of White Rats at Exposure of Bisphenol A and Triclosan.Bull Exp Biol Med. 2020; 168: 753-756
- Alteration of testicular steroidogenesis and histopathology of reproductive system in male rats treated with triclosan.Reprod Toxicol. 2009; 27: 177-185
- Triclosan exhibits a tendency to accumulate in the epididymis and shows sperm toxicity in male Sprague-Dawley rats.Environ Toxicol. 2015; 30: 83-91
- Sperm mtDNA copy number, telomere length, and seminal spermatogenic cells in relation to ambient air pollution: Results of a cross-sectional study in Jing-Jin-Ji region of China.J Hazard Mater. 2021; 406124308
Menkveld R. Clinical significance of the low normal sperm morphology value as proposed in the fifth edition of the WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination and Processing of Human Semen. Asian J Androl. 2010;12:47-58.
Bjorndahl L, Kirkman Brown J, other Editorial Board Members of the WHOLMftE, Processing of Human S. The sixth edition of the WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination and Processing of Human Semen: ensuring quality and standardization in basic examination of human ejaculates. Fertility and sterility. 2022;117:246-51.
- Insecticide fipronil and its transformation products in human blood and urine: Assessment of human exposure in general population of China.Sci Total Environ. 2021; 786147342
WHO. Who Laboratory Manual for the Examination and Processing of Human Semen, 5th ed. Available: Http://whqlibdoc.Who.Int/publications/2010/9789241547789_eng.Pdf, Accessed date: 11 May 2018. 2010.
- Laboratory manual of the WHO for the examination of human semen and sperm-cervical mucus interaction.Annali dell'Istituto superiore di sanita. 2001; 37: I1-XII123
- Low-level environmental arsenic exposure correlates with unexplained male infertility risk.Sci Total Environ. 2016; 571: 307-313
- Exposure to widespread environmental endocrine disrupting chemicals and human sperm sex ratio.Environ Pollut. 2016; 213: 732-740
- Proteomic analysis of seminal plasma from normal volunteers and post-vasectomy patients identifies over 2000 proteins and candidate biomarkers of the urogenital system.J Proteome Res. 2011; 10: 941-953
- Developmental abnormalities and epigenetic alterations in medaka (Oryzias latipes) embryos induced by triclosan exposure.Chemosphere. 2020; 261127613
- Urinary and seminal plasma concentrations of phthalate metabolites in relation to spermatogenesis-related miRNA106a among men from an infertility clinic.Chemosphere. 2021; 288132464
- Blood, urine and semen Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) pattern analysis for assessing health environmental impact in highly polluted areas in Italy.Environ Pollut. 2021; 286117410
- Concentrations of bisphenols, benzophenone-type ultraviolet filters, triclosan, and triclocarban in the paired urine and blood samples from young adults: Partitioning between urine and blood.Chemosphere. 2021; 132563
- Exposure to free and conjugated forms of bisphenol A and triclosan among pregnant women in the MIREC cohort.Environ Health Perspect. 2015; 123: 277-284
- The in vitro estrogenic activities of triclosan and triclocarban.J Appl Toxicol. 2014; 34: 1060-1067
- Application of the Navigation Guide systematic review methodology to the evidence for developmental and reproductive toxicity of triclosan.Environ Int. 2016; 92–93: 716-728
- Disruption of LH-induced testosterone biosynthesis in testicular Leydig cells by triclosan: probable mechanism of action.Toxicology. 2008; 250: 124-131
- Environmental exposure to non-persistent endocrine disrupting chemicals and semen quality: An overview of the current epidemiological evidence.Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2018; 31: 377-414
- Human exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals and fertility: A case-control study in male subfertility patients.Environ Int. 2015; 84: 154-160
- The effect of triclosan on the uterotrophic response to extended doses of ethinyl estradiol in the weanling rat.Reprod Toxicol. 2013; 36: 71-77
- Differential expression of oestrogen receptor alpha and beta proteins in the testes and male reproductive system of human and non-human primates.Mol Hum Reprod. 2001; 7: 227-236
- Response of the human testis to long-term estrogen treatment: morphology of Sertoli cells, Leydig cells and spermatogonial stem cells.Cell Tissue Res. 1988; 251: 31-43
- Estrogen receptor alpha and beta polymorphisms are associated with semen quality.J Androl. 2010; 31: 291-298
- Androgen receptor (AR)-CAG trinucleotide repeat length and idiopathic male infertility: a case-control trial and a meta-analysis.Excli J. 2018; 17: 1167-1179