Case report of a 47-year-old woman with a mass in the lower abdomen, was referred to us by the surgeon, two years after orthotopic liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Serum alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), which was elevated at the time of initial diagnosis, was in the normal range. Frozen section examination during exploratory laparotomy showed appearances consistent with metastatic HCC in the ovary. This was confirmed at the final pathological examination. Definitive pathological conclusions were based on the findings of tumor cells arranged in trabecular and papillary aggregates, and the presence of bile-pigment, along with the patients history. This is the sixth case of metastatic HCC in the ovary being described in literature and the first case in which this metastasis was not accompanied by elevated AFP.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology and diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinomas in cirrhosis.Ann. Chir. 1998; 52: 511-517
- Surgical treatment of recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepato-Gastroenterol. 1993; 40: 333-336
- Pathology of hepatocellular carcinoma in Japan.Cancer. 1975; 51: 863-877
- Hepatocellular carcinoma metastatic to the ovary: a case report.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1983; 146: 715-717
- Hepatocellular carcinoma metastatic to the ovary: a report of three cases discovered during life with discussion of the differential diagnosis of hepatoid tumors of the ovary.Hum. Pathol. 1992; 23: 574-580
- Long-term results after resection of hepatocellular carcinoma: experience of 480 cases.Hepato-Gastroenterol. 1993; 40: 328-332
- Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma patients with extrahepatic metastasis.Hepato-Gastroenterol. 1997; 44: 251-257
Accepted: August 12, 1999
Received in revised form: August 1, 1999
Received: April 29, 1999
© 2000 Elsevier Science Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.